Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need tire advice... plz

blk99obs

Ok so I went to get my alignment done today, and as I'm waiting im looking through the racks and I see the 27X8.5/14 Maxxis bighorns... Well I was pretty pissed because a week or 2 earlier when buying tires I asked if they had/could get anything a little more aggressive than just touring/all seasons that I could possibly fit on the car, and they told me no, so I just settled for all seasons...

Well today I asked them to test fit those Maxxis bighorns and sure enough they fit with the same clearance as my current all seasons.

Now as absolutely sick as those maxxis bighorns looked, so far as my reading goes, the fuel economy drop and noise increase might be a little much for me to handle, and they also look like the gaps between the treds are so large that I wouldn't have much rubber on the road at any one time.

Since this is a daily machine that sees prob 90% pavement I'd like to have something thats more a compromise between an all season and that Maxxis mud terrain, something that meets in the middle, still reasonably aggressive but more leaned toward a highway rig that occasionally sees offroad.

Any suggestions on what to look for that I can get from Les Schwab? They said I can trade in my tires I have on some new ones if i do it in the next couple days so the ones i have arent too worn to trade in as new.

Something cheaper than a maxxis would be good too.

So I'm looking for an all terrain 27x8.5/14 thats available at Les Schwabe I suppose or H/T? I guess that means highway terrain? anyway I'll keep researching but it would be really helpful if you guys could chime in as I think im going to try and switch them out tomorrow. thanks very much!

Ok so I went to get my alignment done today, and as I'm waiting im looking through the racks and I see the 27X8.5/14 Maxxis bighorns... Well I was pretty pissed because a week or 2 earlier when buying tires I asked if they had/could get anything a little more aggressive than just touring/all seasons that I could possibly fit on the car, and they told me no, so I just settled for all seasons...

Well today I asked them to test fit those Maxxis bighorns and sure enough they fit with the same clearance as my current all seasons.

Now as absolutely sick as those maxxis bighorns looked, so far as my reading goes, the fuel economy drop and noise increase might be a little much for me to handle, and they also look like the gaps between the treds are so large that I wouldn't have much rubber on the road at any one time.

Since this is a daily machine that sees prob 90% pavement I'd like to have something thats more a compromise between an all season and that Maxxis mud terrain, something that meets in the middle, still reasonably aggressive but more leaned toward a highway rig that occasionally sees offroad.

Any suggestions on what to look for that I can get from Les Schwab? They said I can trade in my tires I have on some new ones if i do it in the next couple days so the ones i have arent too worn to trade in as new.

Something cheaper than a maxxis would be good too.

So I'm looking for an all terrain 27x8.5/14 thats available at Les Schwabe I suppose or H/T? I guess that means highway terrain? anyway I'll keep researching but it would be really helpful if you guys could chime in as I think im going to try and switch them out tomorrow. thanks very much!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letters&partnum=785QR4GRAT2OWL&tab=Sizes

Yup I was just looking at those, so thats the ticket for daily driver eh?

Hows the gas mileage/noise with those? notice any significant difference?

Any other options I should look into?

Also, will 14" steelies off of something like an older legacy clear my brakes on my 99OBS? They said at les schwabe that their multifit ones would be the only ones that would work because they have more brake clearance than stock ones would, but they want like $50 a piece for them and I think they may have said that just to sell me some wheels... I could trade in my current wheels and get some 14" stockers from another older subaru at the Junkyard for free if they will fit... pretty sure I saw an old legacy with some.

Anyone know for sure on that?

Thanks for the help so far!

Edited by blk99obs

oh right on! I ended up springing for the bravos in the same size, I really like the look of the bighorns, but they seem a little too aggressive for me. Was reading on 4x4 forums about big mpg losses with them too which really concerns me... though I suspect they are probably going to larger sizes too when they buy them... that and what they are driving is a lot heavier so hard to say really... It looks like the only areas I should really lose out in so far as comparing the two are snotty mud because the bravos wont clear nearly as well and ice/snow since they dont have holes for studs. I'm not too worried about it though, im pretty sure im not hardcore enough to need something like that.

Let me know how they are for sure! and props on having the cajones to take the M/T leap! I'll be getting mine on tuesday so pix to follow!

Was gonna get the grabbers but they couldn't cut me nearly as good of a deal on them because I guess they get Maxxis in massive bulk but General is like special order so woulda been literally twice as much, but its all good, we run Maxxis tires on our DH bikes so will be kinda cool to show up with them on my car too =D

Edited by blk99obs

So far I have not noticed an mpg loss but I just swapped in 4.44 gears both ends and a newer outback transmission. I didn't notice too much noise when driving but I am used to noise as I had tsls on the lego last. I am going to put a spacer on the front and do some cutting and try to get some 30" mt tires in there. Do you know of anyone that makes a 1" wheel spacer that converts 5x100 to the Toyota six lug?

That would be sweet, but no I have no idea on the wheel spacers sorry... Good to know about the tires! I was also concerned about the larger gaps in the treds because you wouldn't have as much rubber on the ground. Done any hard braking? How bout when its wet?

Nice goin on the tranny, I'm thinkin ill do that one before too long, my clutch is gettin soft so figure once it quits gripping or throws a spring I'll just yank the whole setup out and go shorter gears.

Edited by blk99obs

Well they seem to do fine on slick surfaces I have been on ice at work up the mountain and it didn't slip much at all and hard braking seems good too. I also went wheeling last night and they absolutely tear it up on trails and mud. Do you know if it is possible to swap Toyota hubs on to am ej?