Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBW, 734k km (453k miles), RIP

Hi everyone,

I haven't been around the board very much in recent years. Thankfully my car wasn't giving me any new challenges to speak anymore. I did learn a lot about my car earlier on from this board and hopefully was able to help some other people as well.

My car has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky this week. 1997 Legacy Outback Wagon, base model. Lots of little upgrades that I did to it over the years. Lots of miles. Other than being on the third engine, I can't complain too much about the service it gave me. It was mostly trouble free the past 4 years with the exception of the fuel pump that went a year ago.

I managed to time it quite well. Mechanically, the car is very tired at this point. The body is still in great shape. No accidents and Rust Check every year. Interior still very good except the driver's seat was starting to go. Hanging onto it for a few more years was also a plus in that there is a lot more selection (for me) than there was a few years ago. I insisted on a small(ish) hatchback and there was very little to chose from up until the past couple of years.

I know I'll be asked what I'm driving now. I started looking back in the spring, test driving here and there, checking out new models as they were released. I drove just about everything that was a small hatchback under ~$25k. In the end, I decided on the Hyundai Veloster.

Commuter

Wow, nice job to get those miles up there.

The car you chose, actually is the car, in my opinion, the best car on the market now, for the money and what you get. I factor in gas mileage and size immensely, and it is just right in size, features, cargo area, and should be a good one. I think if i was in the market for a new hatchback that is what i would replace my CRX or Civic with.

I saw a 95 legacy in the scrapyard with 320,000 miles and I thought that was a lot. It was in really great shape considering.

It could have been worse. I went to look at a 96 chevy truck yesterday. It had 360,000 miles and the doors almost fell off when I opened them.

Good luck with the new car!