Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dead '99 outback wagon, what to do?

She's dead, Jim

blew the motor in my '99 legacy outback wagon. I'm not going to rebuild it, have another vehicle available to use. recommendations beside just junking it?

190 K, just turned last week, rode hard and put up wet the last few years, not exactly a lot of virginal sheetmetal, stupid bambi.

window motors, defrosters, wiper motors, seat heaters, stereo, most dash lights, interior lights working. seats not ripped although driver's left bolster (?) worn from exiting and entering vehicle. headliner and all carpeting intact, driver's foot well carpet pretty much the only worn part, passenger side coffee stained. :rolleyes: it was my work vehicle for the last 7 years, I've probably cleaned it thoroughly 3 times in that period, so it's dusty for sure.

If I had a property that I could just park the car at until I get around to restoring it, I would. Liked that generation. If money ever comes my way, I'd get another one and combine the two for parts to get one or the other running. It might be sentimentality, I'm original owner, but I'd hate to see it crushed right away.

I'm not going to rebuild it, have another vehicle available to use. recommendations beside just junking it?

If you liked it so much, why not rebuild it?

If you're not going to rebuild it, and don't want to junk it, pretty much your only options are to part it out or sell it as-is to someone else who will rebuild it or part it out themselves.

If you liked it so much, why not rebuild it?

If you're not going to rebuild it, and don't want to junk it, pretty much your only options are to part it out or sell it as-is to someone else who will rebuild it or part it out themselves.

I think selling it as is, but I have no idea what value to assign to it. what does a parts car go for these days?

Scrapper will probably give you 300 for it. If it is in pretty beat condition I wouldnt expect much more than that. If it was fairly roadworthy you might get more out of it by throwing it on craigslist being that it is a 99. really depends on its condition relative to what is available in your area. What I would do is look at what running ones are going for near you, in similar condition and drop about $1500 off of the price to cover repair costs and or labor for whomever might be interested

If you don't want to deal with it yourself, the best option is probably just to sell it to someone who has the time and desire to repair it. Lots of people out there looking for winter beaters or spring project cars. Craigslist is usually the easiest place to list it. Kinda rough shape, lots of miles, it's probably only worth ~$700 to the right buyer. I see dead engine Subarus of that age on my local CL listed for usually around 750 - 900 on a regular basis. Ocassionally I see them higher and they usually end up dropping the price after a couple weeks.

I won't buy them unless I can get them for $500 at that stage of the game. I end up finding too much that I want to replace to put them back on the road. I take what they are worth, what I need to put in them and go backwards. That is what I end up offering. If you part it out, you might get more, but I like keeping them on the road.

Just my 2 cents

i would recommend selling it whole to a potential subaru enthusiast. a car like this is a great deal for someone who has a spare engine or parts just laying around. I go after cheap cars umder 500 bucks, and the candidates i select are based on what i have for spare parts to fix it up with little cost besides fluids and gaskets.

Try your luck at that. if no bites, you can part off a fender or the headlights or some other specific bits, and then junk the rest.

the scrapper will give you the same amount regardless of small bits missing, as long as all the heavy things are there, the cat, battery, radiator. they wont miss seatbelt reels or window glass or a headlight if those are easy sells on the craigs or subaru forums.

being a later model would command a higher price because there is enough book value left after repairing it to make it worth the investment especially if it is not crashed, bent, or rusted out. Motors can be replaced. Clean bodies sells cars.