Ultimate Subaru Message Board

opinions?

Cool thanks Cy. I guess now it. the money saving part of rhis whole swap. I have a few prospects as far as the ej goes. I dont see many soobs from the 80 to mid 90's around here. Well unless its a 90 model lego. Anyway im sure ill be askin questions as the.swap starts. Thanls guys for all the input.

Cool thanks Cy. I guess now its the money saving part of this whole swap. I have a few prospects as far as the ej goes. I dont see many soobs from the 80 to mid 90's around here. Well unless its a 90 model lego. Anyway im sure ill be askin questions as the swap starts. Thanks guys for all the input.

If you can't do wiring - you will be money-ahead by paying someone to do it for you. I charge $250 for OBD-I harnesses and $200 for OBD-II harnesses (manual transmission - automatic's are more). Trust me - it's hard enough for those of us that have done dozens of them. Takes me roughly 6 to 8 hours to prepare a harness for installation and then half the people I do prepare them for are still over their heads even with the harness fully stripped and labeled. 50% of the local guys that buy my harness stripping service subsequently have the car towed to my shop for final fitting.

That's the reality of EJ swaps that I see day-in and day-out. No sugar coating.

If you still want to strip the harness yourself I say go for it! But beware that if you get half way through and want one of the guys here like me to finish it for you - most of us won't touch a harness that's been half disected by an amature. It's too much risk to take on that job. I get myself into enough problems taking on people's half-finished swaps and trying to judge a price-point they can live with up-front. I'm usually mistaken with my prices and a few of them have nearly doubled with other problems showing up after the engine is running. Bad fuel pumps, blown PS lines, bad timing components - I see it all :).

GD

I couldnt afford that. I guess ill have to go at it myself. Right now from what ive been readin ill prolly end up just rebuilding the 1.8. Id love to have more power and all that but i have a crappy job that pays like crap! If i do decide to go ahead with the swap ill be sure to allow plenty if time!:banghead: