Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6-Lug Redrill Questions

Ok, I'm using the search bar, but so far, haven't been successful. In the meantime, maybe someone can answer my question before I find it. I'm planning on re-drilling my hubs to the 6x140mm and putting on some 4-Runner wheels. What do I do to keep the lug studs from twisting? Also, I can't get the lift yet (although, I do plan on getting either the 2" or 4" SJR lift in the future), so how well will these wheels fit under my stock 87 GL 4wd D/R? I'd rather not have to do any cutting, but I will if I need to. Thanks, Josh.

Oh yeah, for the spare, whcih will no longer fit under the hood, how hard would it be to pull a luggage rack off something in the junkyard, and put it on my car (it's a coupe, 3-door), to hold the tire?

Lug studs come with a knurl at the bottom, when purchasing the studs you should be informed on the diameter of that knurl, or you can use a caliper to measure them. Purchase a drill bit of a size that will leave a bit of meat for that knurl to grab in to. You want a drill bit a little smaller than that knurl size. You then drive the lug nut in to place, and the knurl keeps it from spinning. In the event that you drill too large of a hole for the knurl to work, a few small tack welds will do the same trick.

As for the wheels, it all depends on backspacing, and what tires are on them. There are stickys in the offroad section with pictures of various rim/tire/lift combos that should help you out immensely.

As for the spare tire carrier, yes, tons of roof racks have been adapted. Just go through the offroad section, and you can see dozens of examples.

Good luck.

Lug studs come with a knurl at the bottom, when purchasing the studs you should be informed on the diameter of that knurl, or you can use a caliper to measure them. Purchase a drill bit of a size that will leave a bit of meat for that knurl to grab in to. You want a drill bit a little smaller than that knurl size. You then drive the lug nut in to place, and the knurl keeps it from spinning. In the event that you drill too large of a hole for the knurl to work, a few small tack welds will do the same trick.

As for the wheels, it all depends on backspacing, and what tires are on them. There are stickys in the offroad section with pictures of various rim/tire/lift combos that should help you out immensely.

As for the spare tire carrier, yes, tons of roof racks have been adapted. Just go through the offroad section, and you can see dozens of examples.

Good luck.

Ok, thanks. I'd be getting them from the junkyard. As for the tires, I *think* they are 225/75R15, not positive though. I did look in the tires size-lift combo thread, but I don't yet have a lift, so it wasn't much help. Cool about the rack, I'll have to look those up (that was something I had just thought of, so I hadn't had a chance to look yet). I was thinking just a simple luggage rack. I'm sure I'll find some, but what's typical for mounting? Just drill a few holes and bolt it on?

Edited by Dj7291993

I'm the wrong cat to ask for this, but, I want to say I've seen some 205/55s on non lifted gen3s before. It really all depends on how much rubbing you can tolerate, and cutting you are willing to do. I think OneEye has run 205/55s on stock gen3s with little to no trimming, and little to no rubbing. He may be the guy to ask, as he has had a bazillion tire combos on different sizes of lifts. You will not find those 205s in aggressive AT or MT treads though if that is what you are looking for. They do look good with a bit more tire under them though, they kind of get that slot-car look.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

when looking for a tire size that will work on the 14 inch wheel, I look for a tire that will be about the same height and width as what the stock tires would have been, the stock tires are close to 26 inch, and I always revert to this web page when looking at tires : http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

it compares the stock tire size in height and width to what ever tire size you might be looking at.

when looking for a tire size that will work on the 14 inch wheel, I look for a tire that will be about the same height and width as what the stock tires would have been, the stock tires are close to 26 inch, and I always revert to this web page when looking at tires : http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

it compares the stock tire size in height and width to what ever tire size you might be looking at.

26 inch? The stock tires are closer to 23 inch. 26 inch is about all you can fit without a lift and with minor cutting.

Dj729199: You'll want to find a drill bit size 35/64" for drilling your stud holes. I actually found one at Carquest for $14, which is pretty cheap. And I would recommend doing your lift BEFORE installing tires, or else you risk chewing the crap out of them from rubbing like I did. A 2 inch lift is a good place to start cause you don't need to lift the body, and 26 or 27 inch tires are a good gearing for the stock motor.

Dj729199: You'll want to find a drill bit size 35/64" for drilling your stud holes. I actually found one at Carquest for $14, which is pretty cheap. And I would recommend doing your lift BEFORE installing tires, or else you risk chewing the crap out of them from rubbing like I did. A 2 inch lift is a good place to start cause you don't need to lift the body, and 26 or 27 inch tires are a good gearing for the stock motor.

THANK-YOU!!! That is the info I was looking for. I'll just deal with the bent wheel until I can do the lift, too. I'll start looking for that bit. I have access to a drill press at school, but this is my last semester for my associates degree, so I'd like to do it this spring. One more question, anyone have a link to a write-up on the 2" SJR lift? I've been searching, but haven't had much luck to far. I'm mostly concerned with the steering shaft.

Ok, just one more question, for fitting the 225/75R15's of a 4Runner or similar on my soob, with minimal cutting and pounding, would it be better to wait a bit longer, and do the SJR 4" liift over the 2"? I'm mostly leaning towards the 2" for price, but could wait a bit longer for the 4". Will the 4 make it harder to use as a DD? Are there any downsides to the 4" vs the 2"?

Thanks for the help!

~Josh

With a 2 inch lift, those tires would fit, but you'd have to trim fenders quite a bit, and some hammering on the firewall part of the front fender if you wanted to be able to turn sharply.

A 4" lift would make for a better daily driver cause your axles and control arms wouldn't be at such a steep angle, and your tires wouldn't rub as bad. I'm probably going towards a 4" soon myself cause I'm getting a bit of rubbing and this is my daily driver.