Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru bucking bronco over 30 mph

Hi everyone,

OK, first off I'd like a weber and eliminate the Hitachi but cannot right now The issue is, engine idles well, revs fine but when you get to a small hill at 30 mph the tach starts bouncing up and down and the car feels like a bucking bronc. I cannot figure out where this issue is coming from. Most issues with the GL have been easy to fix. The engine was replaced before I bought it, so I have no idea if something wasn't connected right when the engine swap was done and the shop that did it doesn't exist anymore. 1987 GL Wagon, EA82.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The vacuum lines are a nightmare under the hood of these.

Thanks,

David

Check the ground on the right side rear intake bolt. Make sure it is there, CLEAN and tight. Second, check the condition of your cap and rotor and also wiggle the disty shaft back and forth to make sure there is no play. Might want to have a look at your plugs as well and if you have a volt/ohm meter, measure the resistance on your plug wires. Should be 1K ohm per foot.Those are your basics. It doesn't sound fuel related. That's usually a bog or a stall.

Check the ground on the right side rear intake bolt. Make sure it is there, CLEAN and tight. Second, check the condition of your cap and rotor and also wiggle the disty shaft back and forth to make sure there is no play. Might want to have a look at your plugs as well and if you have a volt/ohm meter, measure the resistance on your plug wires. Should be 1K ohm per foot.Those are your basics. It doesn't sound fuel related. That's usually a bog or a stall.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks, now if it would stop raining.

David