Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Milk in the Air Breather

If you had the heads milled, and the block is flat, and you cleaned the block...did you by chance mix up the bolt tightening sequence? Or do like I did, and say "oh I can drive the mile home without putting the alt/power steering on...", forgetting that the same belt drives the water pump? (I damn near had to do it again, I was lucky as h*ll).

If it is no miles, then the milk shake could be (residual) from the earlier failure - not sure though. Did you drain the head/block also prior to replacing the gaskets. I just did my head gaskets and used the Beck & Arnley ones. These looked just as the original ones I took out. So I am following the retorque regimen for the original gaskets (if you follow the procedure, it is quite arduous and inconvenient; basically between the initial oil/filter change and torque, you complete the process again at 0 miles (after idling to warm up and cool), 300 miles and 1300 miles after the head gasket replacement). Which gaskets did you use - Felpro permatorques? Did you use OEM intake manifold gaskets, or at least torque those to 15 ft-lbs. If your engine did not heat up after replacing the gaskets, try and retorque the bolts again after draining the engine oil (and block/heads also if necessary).

Not too much information to go on here as yet. Hopefully you can sort this out. Good luck.