Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im gunna kill it!

so i've been having some minor issues with my new 87 gl nothing to serious it was always drivable. but today i messed with the vacuum trying to get it back to how it is suppose to be. i only swapped on hose at a time and ran it after each mod to limit error and so i would know where i went wrong. it was running alright and i got the idle pretty good so i drove a couple mile back home when i parked it i let it idle down make sure it was still good all of a sudden it started spewing smoke like couldnt find my way out of the cloud thick. the hose coming out of the pcv valve was FULL of oil. so at this point i would like to drive it off a cliff :banghead: please help!!!

i dont know much about these engines and i could be wrong but it doesnt seem like a head gasket could cause it. and mine had the headgasket done 4 years ago which is only about 30,000 miles so it doesnt seem likely. i pulled the hose and i had very little crank case pressure. the guy i bought it from "rebuilt" the carb and he messed up the vacuum lines so maybe thats causing mine. to temporarily fix the problem i just hooked up the PCV right into the intake and just let the crank vent into the engine bay. i just drove 200 miles with it like that... i didnt have a choice i had to get home.

What leads you to believe the head gasket?

i only swapped on hose at a time and ran it after each mod to limit error and so i would know where i went wrong.

Did you replace the hoses one at a time or just check them one at a time? I had a severely clogged vacuum system and when I checked the hoses they were apparently brittle enough to crack minutely, yet strong enough to not actually break (so I didn't notice the cracks.) ended up replacing all the hoses and running seafoam through it a couple times and no there aren't any issues.

I thought it was ironic that my checking for problems caused problems lol.

Not sure if that's your issue or not but that's my $0.02 worth.

no my water is full and my oil isnt milky. the oil i found in the hose was black. the way mine was hooked up was a hose to the valve cover up to a T one leg to the air intake and the other down to the PCV. i have some serious vacuum in the PCV i guess its enough to suck up the oil.

the temp creeps up on hills but no hot. i think thats due to the timing still being off since i cant time it correctly because the idle is so high

kabarakh:

its very possible thats part of the problem. the hoses dont seem to brittle but i could have cracked one. they may already be cracked cause i have a pretty bad vacuum leak i pulled a hose while it was running and there was no change in idle and i couldn't feel any sort of vacuum even when reving it.

Was doing a little backresearch, I've ran into this on my ford ranger before and found this on a forum...

"This system is designed to ventilate AIR, which may contain some oil vapor and the occasional splash. It is not in any liquid oil reservoir. If you have liquid oil blowing into your intake hose, I think you might have some very ************ed up piston rings or gaskets allowing excessive combustion pressure to leak into the crankcase."

It was specifically referring to a case where excessive oil was found in the PCV system.

Makes sense to me, although thats gotta be some intense vacuum... Thats also assuming that it would apply to a Subaru as well though lol, although i can't think of anywhere else that much oil would come from...

blow-by would cause oil in the pcv but i pulled the hose to the crank and there was nothing. if the rings where this bad i don't think it would run. there was nearly a quarter cup in the hose leading to the pcv. there would have been a lot of air coming out of the crank if that where the case. blow by was the first thing i thought of but the car didn't smoke at all before. if the rings where bad you'd see smoke under a load because the rings aren't wiping the walls clean. right?

because i found so much oil in the pcv system i think i found my smoking gun ;) haha and other than that i don't know where the oil could be coming from.

i just looked at a 85 gl the vacuum system was a bit different but i think i found the issue with the oil in the pcv. on this car it was hooked up intake to pcv with just a vent it was NOT hooked up to the valve cover. I was told the 85 ran perfect. so that solves the oil problem but now i still need to sort out the rest of the vacuum leaks and good stuff