Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Legacy Door Ajar light problem

My 91 Legacy thinks the front passenger door is always ajar, even though it's definitely closed. This would not be a problem but I think it's causing my battery to die if I don't drive it for a while. I'm just looking for suggestions to see if someone knows how I could turn off the light or if maybe something else is killing my battery. The only solution I have thought of currently is to disconnect my battery if I won't be driving for a while.

Thanks!

Alex

Do the black plungers still have their rubber boot? If so, is the rubber boot crooked?

I had the same problem with my '92... always thinking one of the rear doors was open. The boot that goes over the switch had shifted over to the side, and because the boot is thickest on the end (which now wasn't over the plunger), it just wasn't pushing the switch in far enough. I could push the boot back over to re-center it, and it worked fine... but after doing that a few times, I just replaced it with a used one that wasn't squished over crooked. :cool:

Do the black plungers still have their rubber boot? If so, is the rubber boot crooked?

I had the same problem with my '92... always thinking one of the rear doors was open. The boot that goes over the switch had shifted over to the side, and because the boot is thickest on the end (which now wasn't over the plunger), it just wasn't pushing the switch in far enough. I could push the boot back over to re-center it, and it worked fine... but after doing that a few times, I just replaced it with a used one that wasn't squished over crooked. :cool:

Yeah I took a look at them and they are split a bit on the side, allowing the plunger to push through. I'm recharging my battery right now but tomorrow i'll see if I can't get it to work.

I might try the nickel trick. So it's just sometimes it's not pressed far enough? Because all of the rubber boot's are broken but only that door is having the problem.

Thanks!