Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all!

In my area there is a 1999 Legacy L wagon with 56,000 miles on it. They are asking $7995, which is high. KBB has it at $7090(Private Seller). I would at least try to get them down to that. I'm liking the low miles and the model, 2.2 motor and even the color suits me.

As I have shared before I currently drive a 1992 Legacy with now 234,000 miles on it. I commute 70 miles a day. If I pick this up, we'll keep the 92 as a back-up car.

Your opinions are appreciated - Todd

go by maintenance history versus miles. High mile cars with extensive service will be more relaiable than a lo mile car with no service history.

Consider the year of a car. If it has lo miles, that doesnt matter as much if the car is old.

$5000 would be a better price to open offers with. Hopeful sellers generally put a price of 25-50% more than what they would actually take for it. That is just part of the game.

take a quote from me:

"When someone is looking for something specific, they know what it's worth. But at the same time, they know what they would want to pay for it."

KBB imo always has high prices for used cars. Suggest using prices from NADA website. INO $7K is way too much for a 13 year old car, particularly for the low end Leggie model with less accessories. I would be inclined to make an initial offer of $3,500, and settle for not much more then $4K on a final deal. The low odometer reading is worth something, but not more then $300-$400 extra imo. NADA will quote a little higher price, when you state the odo reading.

Thanks for the responses. We probably won't go look at it. I see the case that low miles only has so much added value and at this price I would be better off with one with about 100,000 miles at half the price. In this area he will probably get close to what he's asking, so there would be no point in driving 100 miles round trip to offer substantially less.

Thanks - Todd