Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 Legacy Lift Options and Questions

uwjberg

Hi all -just picked up a '91 Legacy with a buddy to transform into a trail/camping rig. The first mods will be a lift with some larger tires. In searching around in here, it looks like there are a couple of options - the SJR lift and the outback/forester struts. We were initially thinking just a 2 inch lift, but it depends on what all is involved. If we can go bigger with not much more headache it may be worth it to us. I've got a couple of questions:

The outback/forester struts - I read in one post this is only for the front. True? How much do these typically run used/new?

The SJR lift - I see that there is a 1.5 inch lift, and a 4 inch lift. From what I understand, nothing is really needed for the 1.5. For the 4 inch, it looks like an extended steering shaft. Anything else needed here (extended driveshaft, etc.)?

We are trying to do a cost anaylsis on this and see what fits the budget best. If the 4 inch lift is better/cheaper than the 1.5 inch and strut combination, might be better go that route.

Anything I'm missing? Recommendations either way? If we go the SJR route, at least we are a short hop up North to Bellingham....

Edited by uwjberg

the forester or outback front struts are a direct bolt on in the front. I believe the outbacks at least should be a direct swap as well. Foresters may be different in the tophat. Not 100% on this. Either way it's way easier than a body lift.

depends which yard you go to. I got a full set of forester struts for $60 at my auto yard. I've heard as mush as $50. a piece for a strut spring combo used.

You can add HDPE spacers between the strut tops and frame for some extra lift. I make them pretty cheap. 3/8 inch can be put on with no modification.

There is a good set of OB struts and springs at the Pick n Pull in Lynnwood right now. $28.99 each.

If you want to see what a '91 looks like with the OB springs/struts/1" strut spacers and 1" body lift looks like I will have mine put back together soon. I live just down the road from PnP so I could meet you there and show you where the good stuff is.

Gotcha. So with outback struts/springs and a 1 inch spacer that should be a pretty decent lift without having to lengthen the steering shaft. From what I've read that is about the outer limit for axle angles, right? How much lift can I expect with that combo?

Thanks for all of the hlpe...

depends which yard you go to. I got a full set of forester struts for $60 at my auto yard. I've heard as mush as $50. a piece for a strut spring combo used.

The yard closest to me is $50/each if you pull them, and $75/each if you have the yard guys remove them from the car. :-\

Gotcha. So with outback struts/springs and a 1 inch spacer that should be a pretty decent lift without having to lengthen the steering shaft. From what I've read that is about the outer limit for axle angles, right? How much lift can I expect with that combo?

Thanks for all of the hlpe...

I think there's maybe a half inch difference between an outback strut and a forester strut. I put Forester struts and 3/8 spacers on my impreza and got about 3 1/2 - 4 inches of lift at the rockers. (This was before the bigger tires)

I would think with a one inch spacer you should be in the same ballpark of about 4 inches. Any spacers more than 3/8 require longer bolts through the strut top.

Roger that! When you installed your struts, did you have to drill any holes in the rear or what is a straight swap? How was axle wear/angle before you swapped in the trailing arms?

Thansk for the help. Going to try to get out to PnP this weekend.

I drilled one hole each. Axles were not affected by not having the trailing arms. With the arms installed the tires are more centered in the wheel well.

IMG215.jpg

I would get some rubbing before if my fat friend was sitting in the back seat. :lol: I still may add a spacer to push it farther back but we'll see how it does after it's field tested.

Edit: Yes, I'm still missing a bumper and a lug nut. :rolleyes:

So forgive my ignorance again, but I didn't see it mentioned in the link. Will both Outback Impreza or Legacy struts work, or just Legacy?

Tried PnP today, but no luck. The only OB there had damaged struts on the left side. I'll keep looking.