Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL Weber/carter carb

hey guys i have a few questions about the carb on my 83 GL sedan 5spd 2wd. first off,it is a weber/carter and is it classified as a 1 or 2bbl, and secondly if it is a 1bbl is it possible to upgrade it to a 2bbl hitachi? if its not possible, or just plain better to leave the carter/weber on how do i adjust the cold idle and what nots. it is running like utter crap, it cold idles at around 3k or so, warm idle its barely making 500 and it sputters and stalls quite frequently while warm. its hard to start warm, starts really easy cold, i usually have to hold the pedal to the floor to get it to start warm and sometimes it takes quite a few cranks to get it to stay running, i need serious help i am seriously beginning to miss my TBI ea82 lol. also i've already cleaned the carb with carb n choke cleaner, and i've also ran berryman's b12 thru it and that helped a little bit, (used it before on my 88 justy gl and dl) any type of advise would be most helpful this is my VERRRRY first carbed ea series subie, and this is also my first ea81,

Scottie

It is a 1bbl.

You can swap to a hitachi by swapping manifolds.

I would not call it an "upgrade".

Sounds like your choke stays on or the float valve is leaking.

Ones I`ve worked on had loose screws holding the throttle body to the carb bowl.Need to remove carb to tighten.

I would buy a gasket and float valve needle and seat from the dealer.

Might get away w/a simple float adjustment,but,might as well change the valve w/it is opened up.

Adjust cold idle by turning the screw on the long arm that makes contact w/the cam near the choke thermostat.Put the arm on the 3rd step.Adjust to 2000 rpm.

IIRC,adjust warm idle by turning the screw in the centre of the idle stop solenoid on the other side of the carb.

Edited by naru

You would need the intake from an EA82 to switch to the Hitachi. Better upgrade would be to a weber. You can either get the adapter for the EA81 intake or switch to the EA82 intake and get the weber adapter for that. The adapters are different. I have an an EA81 weber adapter if your untested. was only used once.

Or you can do the spfi swap.

Sounds like your choke stays on or the float valve is leaking.

+1 BUT

Hard to get parts for the carter, so saving it may not be easy/cost effective. There is just no easy answer to carbs for these and I bet yours is a feedback model too. Ive tried several different things and so far the SPFI conversion seems the best. No matter what you will have to change manifolds unless you can figure out some other 1bbl w/custom adapter to fit what you have now (not easy either).

The cheapest option is to throw on a non feedback hitachi and manifold from a j/y car.

I have an EA81 Hitachi manifold and maybe even a carb or 2, but Bisbee is pretty far south of me...

how much would u want for the hitachi intake setup?? i'm all for bettering the car lol.. so there is no real power gains from swapping from a 1bbl to a 2bbl... Explain to me more about the SPFI swap, what all does it entail and roughly how much does it run and what all do i need to do it besides the obvious intake and TBI unit and computer.

how much would u want for the hitachi intake setup?? i'm all for bettering the car lol.. so there is no real power gains from swapping from a 1bbl to a 2bbl... Explain to me more about the SPFI swap, what all does it entail and roughly how much does it run and what all do i need to do it besides the obvious intake and TBI unit and computer.
Search for spfi swap in the search window. Tons of info including complete right ups on the swap.

how much would u want for the hitachi intake setup??

it will be a deal but shipping... P.M. me for details

so there is no real power gains from swapping from a 1bbl to a 2bbl

Not really no, it may loose some throttle response going to 2bbl, but just having it running closer to right will make it feel better. It should also improve your top end.

Explain to me more about the SPFI swap,

These parts are getting a little harder to come by and j/y parts are getting more expensive as well. Its still cheaper than a Weber and easier to find parts for too.

www.leoneturbo.com/docs/EA81_SPI_guide.pdf

Are the dealers having trouble getting Carter/Weber parts?

Not real sure about that, but if you need to involve the dealer for something like this it becomes more expensive and difficult than its worth. I bet hes an hour or two from the closest dealership, and I also imagine they wont have these parts on the shelf.

so what kind of gains am i looking at with doing the spfi swap?

You may feel a little more off the line "umf" but you wont be getting much in the way of performance gains. The biggest improvement you will see is cold starts (no more carb bs). Reliablity and parts availability will be improved over what you have now.

btw i have a complete running 93 loyale sedan in my driveway right now lol, and i'm about to buy a whole engine for 190$ for it as the #1 piston is blown. so i have everything but the wiring and computer covered.

Then this is the route I would take, there is a couple other parts I forsee you needing like an EA81 Hitachi distrubutor/drive gear, (since your car is 2wd Im guessing you still have the Nippo disty in it), the cruise switch for the clutch pedal (if you go that route).

see something wierd is i have some sort of aftermarket cruise control system on my car i(see attached pic)i have also attached better pics of the car.... also wanted to ask, if i wanted to put an aftermarket carb on my 83 subie gl currently equipped with the force feedback carb on it, what kind of carb do i need to look for or what works best for the ea81, yea the carb on the car is peppy but i can't resist modification and making it better.

post-34815-136027653408_thumb.jpg

post-34815-136027653417_thumb.jpg

post-34815-136027653421_thumb.jpg

post-34815-136027653425_thumb.jpg

Edited by lilredjusty88