Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior hatch panel keeps falling off.

2001 OBW, 200,000 miles, almost exactly.

I've replaced all the little plastic clips, except the one where the mount for it is broken. It holds until I close the hatch with anything more than just the minimum amount of force needed or until something in the back bumps into the panel.

I can't imagine this much trouble is because of 1 missing clip, but what do I know.

Thoughts on a fix? I don't think there are any places where I could add a couple screws, but there might be.

charm,

Either you are not getting the clips into their mounting holes, or the clips (really a plastic plug) are not the correct size, and don't allow them to grip securely in the holes of the steel tailgate inner frame.

Pull the tailgate cover and remove one of the plugs from the panel. Pop it into one of the mounting holes to see if it attaches firmly. When properly installed they have to be yanked to come out, and likewise almost hammered back in with the heel of your hand. to attach.

If you find it secures firmly, then your problem is not getting the plugs properly aligned when attaching the panel. If the one plug doesn't grip properly, then you'll need to get the proper ones to solve your problem. Good Luck!