Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed my valve cover gaskets and o-rings and set my valves at the same time I changed my timing belt ('03 2.5 non-turbo Forester) hoping to solve an oil leak which appeared around 90,000 miles.

Still leaking, and this weekend I removed the lower shroud and washed the underside of the engine with special attention to the driver's side block/ head area.

Sure appears to be leaking from the head gasket, but no coolant in oil or vise-versa or external coolant leak.

Searching here, I've read conflicting advise about how imminent further gasket failure might be.

As annoying as oil leaks are, all my cars have them to some extent and if it's just something I'll have to live with, so be it.

But if I've got to suck it up and pull the engine and replace whatever needs replacing, I'll do that, too. I'd rather not.

How urgent?

JW

If its just oil, you're still doing ok. When you get coolant leaking from the same spot, then it's time to do them. Just keep an eye on the oil level and the coolant level, checking the head gasket status at every oil change. You can also add the Subaru coolant conditioner that is sold at the dealer to help prevent the coolant from starting but its really more like an over glorified stop leak:rolleyes: