Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling all Soob-Masters!

Hello everybody! I have a 1982 Subaru Gl wagon, 2wd. It has a Weber, aftermarket tachometer, and aftermarket stereo system, but that's about all I've done to it so far. I know some Subaru basics, but I've just recently started fiddling with cars and I'm not too acquainted with anything yet. I plan on going to the pick n pull in Arlington pretty soon, mainly for aesthetic pieces (trim, door handles, ect.) and a new ignition switch. I'm wondering if you guys have any any ideas or suggestions on any other parts and goodies I should nab while I'm there? I'm not lookin to do an engine swap or anything, more like some nice upgrades. Either some compatible parts from newer model Soob's that would be worth the time swapping, or just parts that should probably be replaced by now (she has at least 150k... odo is broken). Thanks guys! Also, is there anything I should do or upgrade to make my wagon to make her more reliable on long highway trips? I'm going off to college about 10 hours away pretty soon, and I'm not sure if she could handle the trip every week.

ry%3D400

Edited by nickeggen32

I think there was a problem with the site yesterday. Lost it in the early morning and couldn't get back on here all day. Could be the reason you didn't get any answers... Big void in the time stamps on here today.

As for grabbing parts,

get anther dash cluster to swap in. Having a working odo is nice..

rear lights/lenses, and front corner lights. Never know when some idiot will back into you and break one.

If you find a FWD Turbo EA82 model, those rear disc brakes are a nice upgrade and easy to do.

Also, EA81's went to vented rotors on the front around '84. You need to swap the caliper, it's mount bracket, and the rotor. Another nice upgrade.

Things that may need replacing, just because of age, (new parts here),

all of the flex hoses for the brakes,

inner/outer tie-rod ends, ball-joints (if they show signs of wear),

heater/radiator hoses.

Do a search on here for HTKYSA (How To Keep Your Subaru Alive). It's a pdf file and is downloadable. Lot's of good info in there.

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep my eye out for all that. The weird thing about my odo is that it doesn't work until I press the trip odo button, then once the trip odo gets to .9 miles, both of them stop. I really I wish I knew the actually mileage though... apparently it had 120k back in '89 so I'm sure it'a a lot now.

I'll keep my eye out for those brake upgrades... how hard is it to do the rear disk brake swap?

Yeah I definitely need new ball joints. And a cv. The boot is torn open.

Thanks again for your help!

Reason for the time stamp differences is the posted server work that was done yesterday (Saturday).

Anyway, Tom has the right idea on most of those parts. Definitely get another axle; torn boot will not allow the axle to work much longer if school is 10 hours away (or round trip).

From the picture, you look like you could use a front fender is you find a nice one (or not quite so nice if it's the same color).

If you have a hitachi distributor (rather than nippon denso) in your car, get the ignitor off of it. I always kept a spare ignitor in all my EA81 cars over the years.

Fusible links are always good along with a collection of fuses. Collect a bag of those for a $1, bring a ziplock bag.

Ball joints should be new; you won't save enough at PnP to justify used. Search RockAuto for those. Car is old enough they should have some good deals to close out stock.

Wow, my 12,000th post!!

Edited by edrach

12,000th?! Jeez man. This is probably like my 10th.

Anyways, thanks for the info! Fuses and stuff is definitely a good idea. And I plan on getting a fender if it's the same color, but I kinda doubt it will be.

Do you think I should get a new axle from RA also, or nab one at the pick n pull?

Also, are there any radiator upgrades I could do? The temp gauge gets to about 2/3 after half an hour own city driving, so I'm not sure if 10 hours on the freeway would cause it to overheat. I don't think my fans are turning on.