Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got a 90 legacy L 2wd auto 216k miles just did the water pump & timing belt think the mechanic did a half rump roast job my car keeps cutting off on me in the middle of the road when I turn the car on the green power light flashes 16 times then idles weird when I drive it about 2 minutes later it stalls out when I try to start it back up it hesitates I'm new with subaru's & new to the forum I just had a baby girl & I'm lost with this legacy on what's wrong with it any help please it would be greatly appreciated...

before the repair the green power light was constantly on no bogging no rough idles or random rpm but since the water pump and timing belt repair the car starts gets like 1900rpm then shuts off if it goes over 2k rpm on start it will stay on but every time i come to a complete stop i need to keep the car in neutral to keep it on when driving sometimes the green power light randomly comes on if i don't hit the gas it will cut off. When then green light comes on i can put the car in neutral and the light will cut off on every start up the green power light flashes 16 times... i have checked all my injectors and replaced the one that was not working all have power 2 them and all are firing, recently replaced plugs and oil change nothing major also had the flex plate replaced it was ripped apart i have not done a diagnose yet still trying to figure out how thanks for the replies...

Edited by tntkenny0927

First look up the codes. Since the drivability problems started after the work ,I would check that first( and any wires or vacuum hoses that could have been knocked loose /broken). Check that the timing belt installation. First look carefully for loose or broken vacuum lines though.

Is there a diagram that shows where all the vacuum line are located? Anyone got a chilton or haynes repair guide

If you don't have an under the hood sticker /diagram for the vacuum routing, you can find factory service manuals free on line.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/--Articles--/--Endwrench--/

You will have to sift through to find what you want ( hopefully there is a vacuum diagram there someplace).

Check you IAC valve also.

Edited by Robert Harik

I finally got the diagnose going man the black sensor was deep in there anyways pulled up a code 23 MAF pulled the MAF cleaned it fixed the crooked prongs car is driving way better thanks so much for your help... Anyone has a weird issue with your stock radio where only on side plays? my left speakers front and back are randoly cutting off...

I finally got the diagnose going man the black sensor was deep in there anyways pulled up a code 23 MAF pulled the MAF cleaned it fixed the crooked prongs car is driving way better thanks so much for your help... Anyone has a weird issue with your stock radio where only one side plays? my left speakers front and back are randomly cutting off...