Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with 84 BRAT!

K i got this 1984 Brat from my sister about 2 years ago, with all the intentions of figuring out how to redo it for my kid. All I have accomplished in that time is to tear out motor, and various parts. All of that occured in about the first month that I owned it. So I am in the Longvieww, Wa area and am interested in finding or getting recommendations of people to do the necessary work that i will need to get this back on the road. I would like to get it back to daily driver status. I would also like to see about getting it switched to 5 spd d/r from the current 4 spd, and see if someone can rebuild motor and get some extra hp out of it without going to the whole motor swap route. Now i suppose someone will try and convince me that dollars and cents wise it makes sense to do so, okay convince me and i will think about it! I have a decent budget, not unlimited, ( I have a wife limiter) so I need names and ideas and see what we can do.

Kevin

Cheapest route is to find a used engine locally and stick a webber on it.

It's not exceptionally expensive to rebuild the engine (replace gaskets, etc) and then you can get the cam ground for higher torque or hp then add a weber carburator and open up the exhaust a little with larger diameter pipes... but there's only so much you can squeeze out of it.

You can probably pick up a dual range 5spd locally for under $300.00 (84-87 I think).

The more expensive and definitely more time consuming route is to go with an EJ engine which requires the instalation of a new wiring harness.

Good Luck...

GD (General Disorder) is close to you and knows what he's doing. The rebuild as previously stated is easy and the cam/weber option is good. Injection can be transplanted as well and I've heard tell of 200hp on and EA82. I'm going to try it with one of my Brats.

In your area, General Disorder is the obvious choice for this type of work, especially if you're going to trust a Brat with your kid.

As for what to do, a Weber and a cam from Delta would make it pretty respectable, simple, and relatively inexpensive. I ran a Weber with a 4-speed, and I was pretty content with it after I installed new engine/transmission mounts and GD de-slopped the shift linkage.

Jacob