Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stalling issue and coolant loss

so even if the car does not stall when it is in park or neutral this could be the issue the MAF, is that correct ? if so i will call my mechanic today .

if the car is not releasing some transmission solenoid w'ever, and the TC is staying locked too long, that could be the separate issue 1997reduxe mentioned above. Some people have good luck doing a 3 drain/fill cycles on the transmission and maybe using a Trans-X additive.

i hope you get it sorted out but, seems like this car may have had some issues or missed some maintenance along the way.

what type of additive would u use on the trans ?

the one I read about most is called Trans-X I believe, you might try a search for that term. I haven't used it, but a fluid change and Trans-X is what I would try for odd/sluggish shifting problems. Doesn't mean you don't have more significant problems - but given the cost of transmission repair, it's something you could try on your own.

Has the transmission been maintained? Fluid level good? (check while idling - and wait for a few minutes after pulling the dipstick out) Clear red fluid? Might just need some fresh fluid.

If you are uncomfortable with your mechanic, someone here may know a soob experienced shop near where you live. Seems like you do have multiple issues and can get confusing chasing down several overlapping problems. Good diagnosis is worth paying for. Even of 3-4 problems are found, a mechanic can suggest what needs immediate attention, what can wait a while, and perhaps what you may be able to DIY.

thanks tex this helps , a couple more questions when u mention 3 drain and fill cycles , does this mean how many times i should drain and fill the trans an if so what are the intervals for that ......... what is the best tranny fluid to use on the car manufacturers date was 10/99 and does anyone know of a good subaru mechanic in meridian ms ? , the closes dealer is a few hours away

thanks tex this helps , a couple more questions when u mention 3 drain and fill cycles , does this mean how many times i should drain and fill the trans an if so what are the intervals for that ......... what is the best tranny fluid to use on the car manufacturers date was 10/99 and does anyone know of a good subaru mechanic in meridian ms ? , the closes dealer is a few hours away

The drain for the auto will only let a little less than 4 qts. out. The system holds around 9 qts. total but, kinda tricky to actually get all 9 out. So, if you drain/fill about 3 times, you probably have 70-80% new fluid. I could see driving around for a few days in between, maybe fresh fluid helps wash out some varnish or something. Valvoline High Mileage or Dex/Merc. or ??? Only needs to be 'compatible' with Dexron III. I would probably stay with a name brand though. Subaru has a new fluid ATF-HP but, not cheap. If no shifting improvement, you might do a last drain, put in the Trans-X then fill with DExron III. The dipstick is very 'sensitive' and the marks are only about a pint apart on the tranny, So, after a drain, only put in 3 or 3.25 qts., then check the level. You have to sneak up on the proper amount 1/2 pint ata a time. get a funnell with a hose.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

so i just check the trans fluid , not sure if i did it right but when i let the car idle for a couple of minutes and then checked the level (while it was idling ) it barely registered on the stick, so i added a quart and right away i noticed the idle even out to around 800 to 1000 rpms , before the idle was around 1200 to 1500 .......... so i am going to the car set for a few hours and look for a leak ............... could this be causing the issue's i am having??

so i just check the trans fluid , not sure if i did it right but when i let the car idle for a couple of minutes and then checked the level (while it was idling ) it barely registered on the stick, so i added a quart and right away i noticed the idle even out to around 800 to 1000 rpms , before the idle was around 1200 to 1500 .......... so i am going to the car set for a few hours and look for a leak ............... could this be causing the issue's i am having??

well, a quart has likely overfilled the tranny. Again, not knowing anything about the car, or it's maintenance, it could have just lost some over time. Or, whoever did the maintenance last time underfilled it.

The stick has 2 marks near each other at the bottom - that is low and 'normal' levels for a cold engine. So, it may have been an OK fluid level for a cold car. The marks further up are for measuring the fluid when it is hot. 9 qts can expand quite a bit with temperature.

Be prepared to get some of that fluid back out of there unless there is a leak or it was low on fluid.

Again, that stick is very 'high resolution'/sensitive. You have to add 1/2 pint at a time and sneak up on the proper level.

Was the fluid very dark and/or smelly or bright/clear red?