Ultimate Subaru Message Board

automatic making metallic chatter

I finally replaced my trans in my 95 impreza 2.2. My old one had no reverse, awd was stuck and first was on it's way out. I think it was a bad idea to put this one in my car.. It was fine in the car i drove that i took it out of but Now this one has a severe chatter from the trans like its tearing itself apart. It also has some slippage in first intermittently kinda feels like torque bind but it happens when giong straight. It also slips if you put any load on it. seems like air bubbles in the lines. It's worst when first starting up then it gets quiet after a few seconds. During that time the oil temp light flashes. I've read about issues with the strainer o-ring. I've had it back out and it seems to be lined up right. It got better after I got the oil level correct but still slips and whines/chatters like crazy. Any Ideas? Kinda makes me wonder if anyone knows of any remaining good transmission rebuilding shops.

Edited by Recian

Ive considered it but finding a 5 speed awd impreza pre 99 is tough in this area. And the leggie has different rear end gears so i cant use that one. However i talked to the wife and i forgot a good friend of her family owns an independent transmission shop. Her dad used to work there and he was damn good at rebuilding automatics before he passed. Sucks all his special tools for overhaul are gone. I can do it if i had the parts and special presses and pliars to take it apart. Im gona see how much itll cost to overhaul my old one before i look into cuttin and swapping in tbe 5 speed. If i can swap in a rebuilt auto and keep it stock id rather do that. Worst case ive considered buying a 98 leggie outback. A local car lot has one. Its got 130k just like my car and its in good shape.

Edited by Recian

Did you make sure the torque converter was seated properly before bolting the engine and trans together?

If you removed the torque converter there are a few things that have to be done when it's re-installed. Even if you didn't remove the converter, it's always smart to check it before putting it in to make sure nothings out of whack.

My new trans didnt have a converter. I took my old one out and put in this trans. It took me an hour to get it all lined up so i could bolt it in. I didnt force it just took forever rotating and pushing til all the splines lined up i assume. I swapped the metal sleeve over too since i couldnt get the snap ring out of the converter. I know it raised hell the first time i started it up. Hasnt done as bad since.

I never took the clip out. I left the sleeve on the converter and swapped it all over into my new trans. Did they do 2.5 sohc in those outbacks? Those arent as bad correct? Also 95legacy i remember u did a big review on your swap awhile back. It seems easy since ive already got awd and everything. How heavy was the m/t? I know 2 ppl can barely lift an auto. I assume its lighter. That would seriously cut down on vehicle weight. Also theres a junkyard near here thats $50 for whatever you can carry across the scale so if i fill a bag with parts and strap the trans around my shoulder and carry it at my weist thats a $50 swap minus price of a clutch kit. I know where a 1.8 impreza m/t is at the junkyard but cant remember if its awd. I think its 94 so probably isnt. Next to that is a early 90s leggy 2.2 awd 5 speed. Wont work will it? Or what if i was to take the diff too. Im a junkyard dog :D subarus are awesome since so many parts interchange.

Edited by Recian

you can swap in the trans and rear diff from the lego, use the pedal assembly and clutch cable, and shifter assy from the impreza.

the outback came dohc 2.5 in the auto and manuals came I THINK 2.2 and later 2.5 until 1999. the sohc started in 2000. I would avoid the 2.5 at 120k plus like the PLAGUE.

Edited by Ricearu

yeah that one is an auto 98 so most likely 2.5 dohc. Seeing as i know the history on my engine and i've replaced all it's seals i'm gona go with 5-speed swap and keep the car i've got. It's reliable enough despite the trans issues.