Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OUTBACK 2001-2004 not convinced

I road test four so far. Common issues: Frame less side windows shake badly at speed. Shock absorbers seems ok on all four cars but potholes are a nightmare and the body rattles badly. A mechanic told me that the transfer case use a viscous coupling system and a lack of maintenance as simple as an under inflated tire can ruined it. Above all servicing it involve transmission removal. I have also learn that it is costly compared to most manufacturers that use identical t-case built by New Venture (US MFG). He also told me to buy a 2007 and up model because they use Jeep gerotor type t-case, no longer protected by patents.

Window shaking? Sounds odd to me. All Subarus of that vintage have frameless windows. Mine don't rattle, never heard of anyone complaining about that.

And the stuff with the center diff? Common to all AWD cars. If you have AWD, you have to make sure your tires are all within spec. They only fail when people take horrendous care of their cars. They don't need any maintenance other than keeping the tires right. Frankly, if you can't be trusted to keep your tires inflated and in good condition, you shouldn't own a car.

Plus, you're not going to end up with a Subaru with a fried center diff unless you get really unlucky and buy one sight unseen. If you buy a car sight unseen, well, then I have no pity for you.

The stuff you describe all is kind of odd and the mechanic you talked to isn't really in the ballpark.

it uses a subaru proprietary gearbox and differential set up. The viscous center differential is non serviceable. and the clutch can handle a low tire for time, it's just people who think that their car is an appliance that only needs oil changes, that burn out center diffs. there is no "transfer case" on any subaru ever made from the factory. The entire unit is in the transaxle and highly reliable.

If you want an appliance automobile that is quiet and perfect, buy a chevy malibu. They are super boring.

it uses a subaru proprietary gearbox and differential set up. The viscous center differential is non serviceable. and the clutch can handle a low tire for time, it's just people who think that their car is an appliance that only needs oil changes, that burn out center diffs. there is no "transfer case" on any subaru ever made from the factory. The entire unit is in the transaxle and highly reliable.

If you want an appliance automobile that is quiet and perfect, buy a chevy malibu. They are super boring.

Quiet and boring, then crappy and embarrassing after they start to age. Those things are complete crap. However, there is that old adage: "Chevys run badly longer than most cars run at all."

Quiet and boring, then crappy and embarrassing after they start to age. Those things are complete crap. However, there is that old adage: "Chevys run badly longer than most cars run at all."

I hate them. Don't get me wrong but they do run a long time even thought people torture the crap out of them.

Dunno about Jeep and New Venture transfer cases in a Subaru. These do not have a transfer case such as those of 4wd vehicles.

The automatics use a system of wet clutches controlled by varied fluid pressure to power the rear driveshaft. This is true of the 4 speed trans from 1988 when the 4eat was first used, all the way up to 2012 model Imprezas. In 2005 the Legacy GT and Outback models were fitted with a 5 speed auto which I believe has a similar transfer clutch system. The new CVT transmissions I have not seen details on how the transfer section works.

Manuals use a center differential with a viscous coupler to allow changes in driveshaft speed between front and rear, while still powering each driveshaft when one or more wheels have no traction. There is a transfer gear set in the tail housing of the manual trans, but it is constantly engaged, and there is no reduction gear set.

In both cases the transfer section of the trans is built into the main case.

Proper tire inflation should be a priority anyway, but the viscous units are tougher than he gives them credit for. You have to go thousands of miles with one under-inflated tire to really damage the center diff unit. Usually if one is underinflated the rest are as well, so the only ill effect is on the gas mileage. Tire size and tread depth is more important. People who replace two tires at a time rather than all four do more damage to the center diff.

Yes, the flappy windows have long been a loved/hated trait of Subaru's. Subaru has done away with frameless windows on the new Outback and Impreza models.

However, there is that old adage: "Chevys run badly longer than most cars run at all."

Chevy's got competition. My Ranger has been running like crap for all of the 3 years Ive owned it and it was a farm truck before that. It's still kickin. :-p

Edited by Fairtax4me