Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Odometer does not work

not cable driven.

the vss, speed sensor, is located on the trans and sends a signal , by wire , to the speedo. the speedo shows the sped. the circuit board takes the signal, reduces it by a factor of 4, i think, and sends it to the ECU. which uses it in several ways.

somewhere in that process the info is sent to the odo.

did the car come this way? i guess there is a chance that some one tried ''adjusting'' the odo and messed it up, jambed it so it will not rotate. but you can get a used instrument cluster and install it yourself. not hard. stick with one from the same type of car as yours and one that looks the same.

others may work, but they may not be accurate even though they look the same.

someone here will probably have one. i may have one, i'll have to look. is yours an outback? how many miles on your car / odo? if i have onme i can set the miles to match your car. or at least get it within a few thousand miles.

Edited by johnceggleston

• 3 weeks later...

Whole instrument cluster from the junkyard is the most direct solution. You could harvest just the speedometer and switch just that part or the odometer module.

Besides, if you get the replacement cluster, you can then play around with the old one. The odometer most likely got screwed up by someone messing around with the mileage. That said, the damage could be from a spun gear on the mainscrew of the odometer - sometimes the plastic gears (or even the metal ones) can spin on their shafts.

The example below is from my VW Cabriolet, but the same principle applies. The metal gear (on the left side of the odometer assembly) kept spinning on the shaft and would not turn the numbers. I staked the inner part of the gear to prevent it from spinning on the shaft. It has worked for 6 years since.

2164711_95.jpg2164711_98.jpg

And if the things still can be fixed, then get a bunch of LEDs and use the extra cluster for upgrading the look of the lights! :)

• 3 months later...

it's all about plastic gears... some debris may be jammed into those gears keeping them from spinning. It is directly linked to the speedometer. If that works... well, the odometer works too (except if it doesn't)....

it's not too tough to remove the cluster but becareful of the dash itself while doing the R&R.