Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas tank question

I have a 78 dl wagon that I bought which wasn't getting fuel. Dropped the tank and found the out nipple that connects to the fuel line was clogged. This vehicle had been sitting ten years with fuel in it. The lines been cleared and my question is does anyone know if there is a screen in the inlet or a tube of some kind? Can I just put a nail through what I'm assuming is just accumulated varnish. Not in the mood to drop $$$ on a new tank. Unless someone here has a used one they are looking to unload cheaper than the 350 they want online. Thanks.

Sorry I don't know about the inlet screen but I do have another suggestion:

The tank is pretty easy to remove, 5 bolts on the tank, 4 on the axle (has to be lowered to get the tank around the rear diff) and it drops right out. Find a radiator shop than will steam clean your tank and get all the gunk out. If you don't you'll be contaminating your gas a little at a time. If there are any rusty spots that worry you get a can of POR-15 gas tank coating and slosh it around inside. Seals everything and protects from future corrosion an leaks.

This worked wonders on my El Camino and its a pretty cheap solution.

Todd, not a new gas tank. It would be some kind of reroute to a fuel cell if I can't fix this one or find a used one. If there are new ones... man wouldn't that save me time. Literally this is all that is keeping me from driving her. I think.