Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad Head gasket, or Cracked head??

bought a parts car its an 87 gl, pulled the motor, I noticed that there was antifreeze coming out of the exhaust port on the head, pulled the head, from what i can tell the head looks fine, it has the "ea 82 usual crack between the valves" but i dont think its significant enough to cause the antifreeze to drip out of the exhaust port as fast as it was, what do you guys think? I'm going to get the head resurfaced, do you think it could have just been a bad spot in the head gasket? or A crack that i cant see in the head some where , or is it the crack between the valves. its the passenger side head thanks

The turbo ones will crack in the exhaust port.

Never seen it in a N/A head, but perhaps if it got too hot.

look in the exhaust port, and examine the area where the "bridge" that seperates the cylinders' port meets the walls of the exhaust outlet.

so from what i can tell its leaking from the valves, and possibly from the small crack on the thinnest part of head between the valves, I dont know why but, I didn't think that was that unusual, but i could be wrong. I'm going to take it to the machine shop. I will probably pull the other head and make sure its okay.... Another question I had was : is there any reason I cant take the head off of another motor and bolt it up to this block? any info helps, I need this motor to last 30,000 miles and when i get back i will put in the 2.2!!!