Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oops! Valve shim buckets not tagged when removing for HG job

First time attempting a EJ25 HG replacement on a 1998 Leggy GT. Amateur mistake I made was not labeling the valve shim/buckets when removing.

I guess my next move is to replace the buckets randomly, check clearances, then replace shims as necessary?

Thoughts anyone?

0.20 mm intake 0.25mm exhaust you can check the clearance by putting cam in place hold it down and meshure clearance the cam do's not need to be bolted down just held down it will take some time and trial and error but at least you know to check it will save mutch greif i mark them all ps or dsin 1 exds1 like that and use a egg carton to keep them seperated always back where they came from but still meshure them and i find lots that aren't right even from factory u can addjust the clearance by takeing a slight bitt off the end of valve with valve grinder takes time pacenice

0.20 mm intake 0.25mm exhaust you can check the clearance by putting cam in place hold it down and meshure clearance the cam do's not need to be bolted down just held down it will take some time and trial and error but at least you know to check it will save mutch greif i mark them all ps or dsin 1 exds1 like that and use a egg carton to keep them seperated always back where they came from but still meshure them and i find lots that aren't right even from factory u can addjust the clearance by takeing a slight bitt off the end of valve with valve grinder takes time pacenice

Thanks for the tip!

I would never grind the valve itself unless you have a valve grinder and do it off the head. I have a huge box of shims that I gathered from the salvage yard and from junk heads. I have shipped sizes out before and loaned them to dealers who didn't want to wait 4 days for new ones.

yes use a valve grinder to nip the ends of valves i have one setup for thiss job specificaly u may not find enuff of the right bukets because the thin ones are hard to find so you may have to do some math and order some bucket shims or have a machine shop with valve grinder help you i'm shure you could modify a bench grinder or drill bitt sharpener to work as long as valve is strait on and fixed position