Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new to site. need some input

hi to all. i came across a 1984 4wd sw with only 44 thousand miles. one owner and garage kept. what do i need to look at on this older car. the car looks real good and no rust on the body. i would like to have it for a winter car to keep salt off my others.so far i have seen pictures of the car and it was driven up to last week. the old guy that has it says it will not start. and don't want to mess around with it. he is 67 year old. i have not ever had or worked on a Subaru. tell me what to look at. thanks.

If that is a Manual tranny... sounds like a keeper.

You didn't post what he wants $ wise....

Not starting.... an 84 is about 3 or 4 things: coil, distributor ignitor (module), um... cracked wire? fuel pump? Plugged filter....

They are simple to work on once you learn them... if you have patience and a cozy place to work on them..

I have two 84's, love them......

.............what to look for... rust..... if no rust I wouldn't blink at buying it resonably priced and a not running rig is money savings. That's how I like to buy them.. or get them limping... brings the price down. When you have a roo that isn't running you have too look at it as an opportunity to learn... I call it bonding... the more they break down, the more you learn then it seems they go a long, long time with out any problems.

Remember they are about 30 year old cars... it will need attention... second with nipper below.. hate to see you toss it into the road... it should be put into the living room and adorned in a shrine!.. just kidding of course..

Edited by Indrid cold

Could be as simple as no spark (module in the disty). But i don't know if i can help you commit a sin of rust on a sweet young subaru.

244,000 miles i wouldnt object, but this young, if true, i am protesting.

And welcome to the site :)

well i got the old girl home in the garage.after talking to the old guy . the bolt that holds down the distributor came out. and there is metal shaving down by the gear that turns the distributor.it seams to me that the distributor is turning hard. what might i be looking at in terms of fixing the old girl.she only has 44 thousand miles on her. thanks