Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just did a timing belt change on my 1996 2.2. Second timing belt I have changed on a Subaru so this is still all new to me, although I fell comfortable and pretty confident in my work. I'm a slow mechanic because I double and triple check my work. This timing belt has me questioning if got it lined up all correctly. I haven't fired it up yet (not scared - just haven't had time!) and wanted to run my question by someone to see if the scenario makes sense.

The scenario/question is:

- All marks on the belt are lined up with the marks on the block and pulleys

- The pin is released and all the marks look good

- When the motor is turned over by hand, the marks on the belt never line themselves up with the marks on the pulley/block and I don't think they ever will.

Is that true? my thinking is yes, because the drivers side has more teeth than the passenger side (or visa versa - I can't remember and it is late).

Thoughts?

you used the ticks on the cam sprocket edge, not the arrows correct?

and on the crank, you used the tick on the trigger wheel, not the "triangle" on the front of the cam gear?

I never use the lines on the belt just make sure the timing ticks all line up

you used the ticks on the cam sprocket edge, not the arrows correct?

Yes. I don't know what arrows you're talking about.

and on the crank, you used the tick on the trigger wheel, not the "triangle" on the front of the cam gear?

Not sure what the trigger wheel is, but I lined it up with the marks near the back of the crank

I never use the lines on the belt just make sure the timing ticks all line up

So you would have no idea then if the marks theoretically line themselves up again?

some 2.2's had arrows on one of the star legs. it throws alot of people off.

the back side little "tabs" on the crank sprocket are the trigger wheel

Theoretically at some point, they should all line back up but it may be a whole ton of revolutions. As long as all the tick marks line up, it's gold.

Did your old timing belt break?

Theoretically at some point, they should all line back up but it may be a whole ton of revolutions. As long as all the tick marks line up, it's gold.

That's what I am thinking too. Just wanted someone to verify my madness. Thanks.

Did your old timing belt break?
No, just routine.

So you would have no idea then if the marks theoretically line themselves up again?

Yes they do line up again after so many revolutions. Someone posted the number on here a long time ago. But it's irrelevant! If you got the timing right the first time it'll run just fine--and you'll never know when it's lined up!!! ;)

When the motor is turned over by hand, the marks on the belt never line themselves up with the marks on the pulley/block and I don't think they ever will.

They will line up again after about 81 revolutions... I think. Or 162 revolutions.

Either way, the belt moves 24 teeth when the crank sprocket turns one revolution. Another revolution of the crank makes 48 teeth, which brings the cams around one full revolution. 243 teeth (IIRC) on the SOHC timing belt, means it takes several revolutions of the engine before the belt comes around 1 full revolution.

Align the belt with the NOTCHES on the sprockets. After the belt is in place, spin the crank 630 degrees (90 degrees shy of 2 full turns) to bring the engine to TDC #1. All 3 Arrows should point straight up. It's easy to tell if one is off. Do NOT use the arrows to SET the belt. If you line up the arrows the cams won't stay still, you'll never get it set properly.

Use arrows to CHECK timing ONLY at TDC.

Notches for SETTING, Arrows for CHECKING.