Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drive Belts for 98 loyale w outboard AC

Hello Subaru enthusiasts

I fell into an 89 Loyale with an EA82, and, inspired by all the talk in this forum, went ahead and replaced timing belts, seals, water pump and the whole nine yards and that all went real well. My problem is with the drive belts now. When I got the car they were put on incorrect and there are no numbers or letters on the one that wasn't broken. The car has power steering, inboard alternator, an outboard AC that says 'Diesel Kiki" on it. Which I guess would make it dealer installed?

The only pulleys I see are the crankshaft, power steering, water pump, alternator (all of which have double pulleys) and the A/C compressor, which has a single pulley that seems to line up with the outer pulleys.

There is no idler pulley that I see, and the only tensioners involve sliding the alternator in it's bracket, and the A/C compressor in it's bracket. My Sub dealer can't seem to help, and Napa insists that I need either a duralast 1760 (too small to get on) or a Napa 5734 (also too small to get on, at least too small to get onto the crank/power steering/water pump and alternator---those four pulleys are so close together that it's hard to imagine any belt not going on all of them, but I could be wrong about the configuration.

Napa also thinks I need a 17390 for the A/C compressor, but it's not nearly long enough to do all five pulleys. Does ANYONE know what two belts I need? Some that won't require tire irons to stretch on? I know they had at least a couple configurations for belts on the loyales with A/c and PS..... This mess is slowly making me insane.

I have had this setup and yes it uses two different belts. One catches 4 pulleys and the other catches 5. If I remember correctly I just had to try belts till I found one that would fit on each set then adjust the one for 4 pulleys first ( at the alternator ) then the AC belt second.

The great thing about old cars without serpentine belts is, all v-belts are pretty much the same, some are longer, shorter, some are wider, narrower. Any competent auto parts store will be able to provide you with a correct belt, if you say you need one an inch longer, or two, three, whatever, till you find one that fits. Then just make a note of which belt fits in your owners or repair manual and you're good to go. It's just a belt! And you definitely should not ever try to stretch a belt with a prybar. I went thru this recently while doing a tune-up on a DR string trimmer. Good luck! :cool:

There should be a small pulley bolted to the engine block that is a tensioner for the inner belt, the outer one only tensions with the alternator. You can run the entire set-up with one single belt until you figure the whole thing out, just don't turn the a/c on (the second belt helps reduce the load when the a/c is on).