Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension Compatibility questions

What are the differences between the outback suspension systems, and the legacy/ legacy outback suspensions?

I'm curious about hubs, brakes, spindles, axles, backing plates, struts and shocks.

The years that i'm curious about would be 1999-2006.

Basically what's the same?

I'm doing a suspension upgrade on an xt6, and I'm trying to gather parts.:D

for brakes look up jamals EJ brake thread, there is no point in going over the mess known as 1990's Subaru brakes.

all EJ knuckles are interchangeable. SVX and 05+ STi's get 114 spacing hubs so they require different wheels. forester, impreza, outback, knuckles are all interchangeable. they are generally ABS and non-ABS but if you don't have ABS it doesn't matter and you can use both. ABS has to obviously have ABS fitting for it to work.

front struts are all basically interchangeable too with varying heights and spring rates. OB and forester struts will give a lift i suppose as they'd be taller. impreza and lower legacy sedans like GT's will have lower/shorter struts.

all EJ axles are interchangeable. 90's EJ axles are all the same, around 2001-ish the tone ring moved from the hub to the axle. you can use later axles on older knuckles by simply knocking the tone ring off but not the other way around, you can't install a tone ring on an older axle.

so for 1990-somewhere around 2000 or so knuckles you can use almost any axle 1990-2004...2009...i don't know when it ends. 2001+ knuckles have to have 2001+ axles.

Awesome info, thanks again Gary!

I have a credit with a salvage place, and they got a 200x outback in recently, looks like I'm getting some parts!

Also, as a side note, eff ABS. A well trained foot is much better. I like having the control.

Awesome info, thanks again Gary!

I have a credit with a salvage place, and they got a 200x outback in recently, looks like I'm getting some parts!

Also, as a side note, eff ABS. A well trained foot is much better. I like having the control.

axle, knuckle, strut with brakes attached, pull it all as a big lump (and the wheels will fit your XT6 as well). that is if you want it to set high. if you want lower than you'll want a legacy sedan strut.

your ABS preference doesn't matter anyway, you're not going to be installing it on your XT6. i was letting you know so you know which hubs/axles interchange.

if you get the 200x OB that means you'll always want the 2001-ish and up axles with the tone ring on the axle. earlier ones won't work. but if you keep original OEM axles rebooted you'll never need new axles anyway.

I'm thinking I'm going to grab everything except the struts and wheels. I don't want the lift, so I'm going to be looking for different struts. As for wheels, I like the xt6 wheels! I'm planning on having them powder coated back to their original luster, and then ill be throwing winters on them for this ski season.

As for axles, I want the newer axles, if I ever end up getting to my engine conversion, I want the stronger parts.

What do you think?

• 4 weeks later...