Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dohc ej25 to 95 ej22

redrocket98

i'm wanting to go from the dohc ej25 "98 Forester" to a 95 ej22, "obvious reasons, dual port exhaust that year"

would something like this be plug n play, getting a 95 auto motor with the egr valve. my forester is a 5mt by the way.

some i've asked say wiring harness will have to change some say direct fit, plug n play.

pretty sure the head gaskets are shot in it now and i could probably do the ej22 cheaper than having the head gaskets replaced and worry about it again.

If the 2.2 is from an auto with EGR, the harness is plug and play. The 2.5l flywheel will bolt up to the 2.2l, but it's heavier than a 2.2l one. That may be good for lugging the engine down and smooth takeoffs, but it will slightly hamper the responsiveness of the engine.

Use the A/C compressor bracket off the 2.5l.

The evap hoses will be different, but it's easy to figure out. The canister is in the back of the car rather than under the hood so you need to make a hose loop.

If the 2.2 is from an auto with EGR, the harness is plug and play. The 2.5l flywheel will bolt up to the 2.2l, but it's heavier than a 2.2l one. That may be good for lugging the engine down and smooth takeoffs, but it will slightly hamper the responsiveness of the engine.

Use the A/C compressor bracket off the 2.5l.

The evap hoses will be different, but it's easy to figure out. The canister is in the back of the car rather than under the hood so you need to make a hose loop.

what do you mean by hose loop? tie them in together under the hood?

There will be two hose barbs sticking out over by the power steering pump. One is connected to the EVAP purge solenoid, the other goes over to the triplet of hose connections on the drivers side. If you use a hose to connect the two over by the power steering pump, it routes the purge solenoid vacuum to the line going to the rear of the car.

getting a 95 auto motor with the egr valve.
plug and play swap. remove entire EJ25 and install entire EJ22. bolts right in and plugs right up.

power steering lines won't have the same connections/brackets but it doesn't matter, i just leave them hanging. you can swap brackets off the EJ25 or something though if you want.

have the EJ25 a/c bracket handy as i think that is different as well, but it's just a matter of putting the EJ25 bracket on the EJ22.