Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ARB Air Locker! Maybe... Anyone got a 200SX diff?

pbz

So I noticed that ARB makes an air locker for the R180A for the old Nissan Hard Body pickups, their part number RD182 (see http://arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/application_chart.pdf, they also make one for the 10 bolt R180. I confirmed with ARB that these units are available, 10 in stock.

The old 84-88 Nissan 200SX non-turbos were available with an R180 with a 4.11 ratio (according to http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html), same as my 98 MT Forester. R180s are a fairly easy swap into a Subaru. So... ARB air locker in a Subaru?

So ARB, who were pretty helpful btw, said they did not know whether it would fit this particular diff, so they said if I measured one up and filled out this form they would tell me whether they had one to fit.

So does anyone have said diff they want to measure, or know enough about the R180s to say that this or one of the other R180 lockers will fit the 200SX R180 or one of the others that fits our cars? I know a few have talked about this before, but with doubts about the availability of the ARB unit. Well, their available now!

Not sure I personally will want to spend a grand on a locker for my car which cost the same amount, but I'm sure someone will!

Well it seems like you got a bit further with ARB than I did. I have been in contact with them for months awaiting this locker to come to the US and finally the say well were not sure if it fits that rear diff. I do have a r-180 sitting around I could tear apart. What exactly do they need measured?

Old hat.....Been talked about a bajillion times.

The market is still not strong enough.They have demographics analyst for this sort of a thing.

The last time I talked to a rep in person he said that the way they look at it , the nissan market would be the institution of this locker in the states and they did not have any luck the first time it was available in the US.

That markeet has a larger following than offroad subies does, and if it is to small then there is not even a point.

As far as cost/affordability analysis, this locker is worth every penny they ask for it.It not only has rave reviews in the racing world, but in everyday joe schmoe land as well.

They have stated before that they would need about 1000 units presold to think about it.

If you really want one, you will end up paying upwards of 1500 US , and thats if you have an Aussie friend.

The oz members on here have not the time, nor patience usually to deal with customs.

Much less spending that much on a locker when you can just go buy a rough looking Toy for around the same amount.

Just sayin....your not the first to find it, not the last , and not the only one that has hoped/desired aimlessly for such wonderful fortunes of locked-ness.;)

cheers

Sadly, for the amount a good locker would cost, you might as well weld your spiders and deal with a bit of tire wear. I'm tempted to do that and then mount up Toyota front knuckles to the back so I have locking hubs. Hard part would be frankensteining some rear axles...