Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 stroke oil

Hi

I just finalyse the installation of my 1992 EA82 on my VW bus and I have oil problem.

At first I have installed a 35000 mile engine who was sitting on my garage floor since 15 years.

After the first start the exhaust began to produce smoke, after exhaust removal I realise that the pipe was full of oil. So i decide to open the engine an see if one oil ring was failled. Piston ring was changed, cylinder honed, head grinded and valves guides and seals was changed.

I have flushed the exhaust from oil, put back everything together and restarted the engine, after 2 minutes of running the smoke was back(a grey cloud).... Any idea of what could be the problem ?

The exhaust port is black and oily, my oil level is good on dipstick.

Since the engine is on VW bus the exhaust is short, but I have a CAT and a walker muffler, could it be the problem ?

did you check exhaust on both sides? if you have the same oily mess on both sides it will help show if its isolated to a head or piston, or if its a system that effects the whole motor.

check the PCV system, I am having intermittant smoke that seems to be related to that.

the color of the smoke does matter, oil is ussually tinted blue, antifreeze is thick and white.

Another quick question,

I remember to have removed a small white can connected to vaccum system, the can was white, big as a beer can. what is it for ?

Was it up on the passenger side of the engine bay?

That's a vacuum canister thing to hold vacuum for the hvac system in the subaru, it's useless to the operation of the engine.

If you let the engine run for a while, even drive it around. Does the smoke clear? After an engine has been sitting around for a while, and especially rebuilt. It's gonna burn oil off that's been sitting in the cylinders.

Its make sense for the HVAC canister, I have already cancelled the hoses buy I just want to be sure that I did not mess something.

My engine guy told me the same thing about the oil, that could take several miles until the rings will take their place and seal properly the oil.

Thanks again for the precious help !

Alex