Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy EJ22E 5 speed with cruise. While the car is running not in gear clutch NOT pressed in just sitting there. I hear a sound like metal rubbing together. Push the clutch in and it goes away. I think it's the fly wheel ans pressure plate just barlt touching, do you agree? If so can I simply adjust the clutch and cure this? Been like this since I got the car. Also the squiking from the fork where the cable hooks up, whats that? Seems to be having an affext on peformance. Not slipping, also grabs about 3/4 up. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR!!!:headbang:

If the clutch pedal is out (not pressed in) then the clutch and flywheel will be locked together and the input shaft of the transmission will be turning. Since it is not in gear it is not going anywhere. The noise goes away when you push the clutch pedal in because this separates the clutch and the flywheel so the transmission input shaft stops spinning. Most likely the noise is due to what ever is spinning along with the input shaft and not related to the clutch itself. I am not a manual gear box expert so I couldn't tell you what.

not the throw out bearing that would make noise when you push the clutch in. as for a ball park figure i don't know but i would suggest doing your clutch at the same time while your there it might save money in the long run. check out rockauto.com if you just want parts to do it yourself they have decent prices. yes it is part of the transmission it is the main bearing for the input shaft

Edited by mikaleda

Probably the release bearing. With the engine running you can push the top of the release fork back (away from the engine) lightly, this will seat the release bearing against the pressure plate. If the noise stops, release bearing is bad.

Pressing the clutch pedal lightly will have the same effect. If you have to depress the clutch pedal all the way before the noise stops, then it's an internal bearing.