Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R12 to R34 mod

you mean R134a. Yes its been done a lot. Some guys say you have to replace all the o-rings on the system because of the chemical difference between the 2 types of Freon. I have 2 cars of my own that I converted myself, didnt change the o-rings and have had no issues with it since then.

If one was to do it right, you would recover the R12 (if the system is still charged) put a vacumn on it to remove all the old oil/moisture. Inject 134a compressor oil in the empty system and then fill with 134a. Make sure to hit the AC switch on/off/on/off/on/off/on when you first start it so you dont create extra wear on the compressor. Once the systems full, you dont have to cycle the AC button, its just done when you first fill it back up.

I don't measure lbs or ounces of Freon when I charge my cars. The SVX if its empty gets 2.5 of the small cans, Loyale gets around a can and a half. Legacy should be 2 to 2.5 cans.

And be careful, you dont wanna get frostbite from the Freon... Safety glasses and leather gloves for sure. And do it outside. I've been sicker than hell from R12 before. R134a is a lot more inert and safer.