Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's wrong under EJ22 valve cover? pics

The bolts on your rocker assemblies are loose. I've had that happen (it was my fault) and the end result is no fun. It's good that you caught this at this stage.

Torque spec on those is something like 20ft lbs. Tighten in a cris-cross fashion from the center bolts out.

thanks for the torques, found a pic of the tightening order, just like you said, inside to outside. I've read stories of these bolts bouncing around inside the cover.

Was a close one for sure. Don't wait 200k like me before diving under the cover. Now onto the other side...

valve_assy_tighten_order.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I replaced valve cover gaskets and grommets on a '95 2.2 l engine with 114,800 miles, and found just one of the rocker bolts to be a little loose. I checked them all with a wrench set at 100 inch*lb (8.33 ft*lb), and the rear, upper bolt on the right-hand side did turn a small amount. By the way, the Fel-Pro set I was using came with blue gaskets (their standard color for "PermaDry" line), and marked "Made in Japan". So now the car has blue JDM valve cover gaskets.

Edited by avk