Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early GL Compatibility

TOsborn

I'm looking for a parts car for my '82 GL 3 door hatch, and was wondering what (if anything) changed between the hatchbacks between '82 and for example, '86.

I'm looking at my options, and I have come across an '86 GL 3 door hatch at a reasonable price, but don't know about parts compatibility.

most of it will swap over. the tail lights/headlights/markerlights/grill are gonna be the biggest issue. Other than that, the cars were the same. Almost all EA81 bodies, as long as they are the same body type 95% of the stuff should swap.

3 door coupe ---> 3 door coupe

Sedan --> sedan

wagon --> wagon

as far as the body parts go.

underneath is a diff story. The struts will bolt up, engine/trans/rear diff are all the same as long as its an EA81 setup. I dont mess with teh EA71 stuff so I'm not sure but I think 81 was the last year of the EA71 as far as the cars in America.

And if the 86 is in good shape, no rust I say jump all over it. They are becoming more sought after than the wagons are (at least here in Alaska. There is literally 0 EA81 sedans left alive up here, but theres a half a dozen EA81 hatches in my city and I've seen people pay 2500-3k for a nice hatch)

As far as parts compatibility and swapping it comes down to this... everything is swappable including fenders as long as the headlights are the same. After a certain year (which year idk) there are electrical and plug differences. A lot of the Gen2 ea71 cars are also a direct interchange.

OT

I love my sedan and finding specific parts is tuff.

the 82-87 brats will also work too if your only looking for doors(different glass) and fenders and mechanical parts all are the same(besides drive live and a few other things do to length difference) and everything is the same from the doors to the front bumper, the hatch are prity much the same from 82-87 besides lights as they pointed out