Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle Sets.

xoomer

Hey,

So What's the Deal with Axles? I've put 3 sets of O'Reilly New, one Set of Autozone Axles, and a set of Napa Axles. All I get is Clickity Click click.

Its all intermittent and kind of getting on my nerves.

I know this has been covered before but my Search-fu is not good.

So What's the Deal with Axles?
haven't you seen all the axle threads - nearly anyone that spends time with a wrench knows that aftermarket axles absolutely suck. i thought for sure you would have seen that? they are time suckers, i learned the hard way. here's the two solutions in my book:

1. Get Subaru axles and reboot them

2. MWE (probably who shawn may be quoting you, they are geographically close?)

It's annoying and a little extra effort but if you're not lazy and have some synapses still firing it'll save you a lot of headaches.

Folks do seem to suggest good results with EMPI, failures have been reported, so to me that's not conclusive enough to avoid the 100% (for me) solutions noted above. Though I can see the attractiveness of having an aftermarket supply for folks that own their own shops, do this for a living.

Just had horrible luck with an autozone duralast rebuild,

I've got a new duralast gold coming now that is supposed to be 100% new, we will see.

I think it was my passenger's side which needs it anyway, but when I installed the rebuilt unit on the driver's side barely...it clicked like MAD even when going in a straight line! I was shocked and appalled, even after expecting it to be 'bad'... it was REALLY bad

haven't you seen all the axle threads - nearly anyone that spends time with a wrench knows that aftermarket axles absolutely suck. .

I know, But I Work in Parts for a different brand and we use the aftermarket for axles all the time. and we havn't had this problem. but we are talking KIA and Nissan. I thought I'd give em a shot.

The only cheap aftermarket axles worth messing with are the ones that are new not reman. I have had great luck with them, but one thing I have noticed is the grease is all in the boots from the factory.

It makes sense. An assembly line is not going to get messy squishing grease into the bearings. I am sure they assemble everything and before they put the last band on the boot, they slide a needle fitting in under the lip, squirt and band.

If you don't spend some time and effort mushing the grease into the bearings before install, then the bearings are basically just running with a little assembly lube or dry.

I have had one set of OPs come bad out of the box, but that's it, they had a one year warranty, I took them back and then no problems. Empis have never given me problems.

Axle quality has been debated many times of course, but GD mentioned massaging the grease from the boot into the bearings on the new aftermarket axles a long time ago. I have done it every time since then, and had great success with many sets on multiple cars, so that makes me think the boot grease massage is an essential factor on the new aftermarket axles.