Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter maybe??

So I had to let my '84 gl sit for just over a month. I had been starting and running fine. Now when I try to start it the starter just makes a clicking noise and will not turn over. If I try over and over it will turn over and start up after a while but when it does it makes a loud grinding noise as if I was still turning the key to engage the starter. Any thoughts or suggestions??

probably the starter solenoid. its the piece that engages the flywheel and activates the starter once its hooked up. it will be on the side of the starter, you can service or replace them separately, but generally the whole starter gets replaced.

first check your connections and battery though. could just be a juice problem.

Where do you get them, Ivan?

Last time I needed some, I had a heck of a time finding them in Canada. Finally got them from a place in Prince George. Shipping cost twice as much as the contacts, which I thought were reasonable at $8.00 a set. (Cheaper than a new starter!)

Pulled out starter, took it apart and cleaned it all up. Cleaned all contacts, brushes, positive and ignition connections. Now he starts up every time. But loud high pitch grinding noise I still there. Noise changes very slightly when clutch is engaged. Car still goes into gear, drives and shifts fine. Checked the tranny fluid and it's more than full. Maybe cause it sat for a while and fluid settled? Could the noise be due to the the car having sat and the the transmission fluid settling to the bottom and not doing its job??