Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some help on a tranny swap

...Crank up the driver's side w/floor jack,works best for me,use them jacks stands!!,***slide the tranny under the crossmember(must be jacked fairly high,little diagonal wiggle,etc.-being careful of the actuator),lift the bellhousing end up onto the crossmember using brute force and ignorance to a degree.By that I mean don't have both feet on the ground.Use the crossmember as a brace and save your back.The tranny is fairly light.Don't forget that when you lift the front up that any gear oil in it will drip out the back....oh,boy can I tell you about that...

Have the tranny a good few inches onto the crossmember,not just barely on the lip at the rear edge of the crossmember.Also once it's up there tie it off to the rad. support so it won't slop back at you when you're under the car.

Then as the CorkMeister said gityoassunduhthere and benchpress-you even get to go one handed for a few seconds while you reach for the blocks you brought under the car with you to help prop it up for a second.I used two bricks-being of Italian decent-and then *could have gotten a jack to help* but muscled it up and in-being of Italian decent.:banghead: ....like that but with happy results....

Moosens, sorry to resurrect this old post again, but I'm planning to do a shade-tree like removal/install after I drive out to North Dakota in a few days to help our son.

Will probably use a combination of the approaches mentioned by you MilesFox and others.

I have question about your post, though.

Did you leave the front crossmember in during the removal and installation? That's what I got from your post. There's room to get the bellhousing up and over and out the back leaving the crossmember installed?

And when you wrote "...tie it off to the rad. support..." Where's that?

I've pulled these engines a few times, but not the trannys, so I'm a neebie on that operation.

Any more details you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick