Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Transmission noises...

My transmission sounds like it's on the way out - second gear makes loud clattering noises under load until the engine/trans are warm, and 4th-5th both make a lot of gear and/or bearing noise (sounds like a jet engine).

Is this something that sounds repairable to you guys or should I just drop in a new old unit?

1985 GL wagon, 5sp D/R

I drained my transmission oil and it looked and smelled terrible. I replaced it with a mix of ATF and 30 weight oil. I'll replace it again shortly.

After placing the ATF/30wt mix in the case it made it easier to shift in the mornings and the detergent in the ATF will help clear out any gunk form the old tranny fluid.

Drained the oil a while back and ran it on an ATF/oil mix to see if that helped and it didn't. Back on normal oil now and still making noise.

There was definitely some metal on the magnetic drain plug, guessing that's not a good sign.

If it is a mainshaft bearing failing would it be worth replacing that rather than sourcing another used tranny?

I have a dual range trans at the shop with no car to put it in. I will have to remove it from the shop but have no where to put it!

If you find swapping that easier, make an offer and take all the spare driveshaft and clutch with it. the whole unit is complete enough for a 2wd<4wd swap. This will be likely the one of one or 2 in the region for local pick up.

Otherwise if you rebuild you have the option to play with gearsets. I also have a driveshaft modified to fit an ej trans if you go that route.

good luck

Edited by MilesFox