Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC clutch toast, quick & dirty fix?

^^^ yeah, used the hardware that came with the kit. didn't Loctite the tensioner bolt. will definitely do that this time. there's always the possibility that i didn't torque that particular bolt to spec. i'm a shade tree mechanic, i'm not infallible. but it was my first time doing the TB job, so i was VERY thorough. either way, i got lucky and am thankful for that. even if i bought the part new at full stealership markup, it'd be cheaper than the RIDICULOUS quotes i was getting for a TB job from some of the shops around here*. but, like an earlier poster said, he/she has heard of this problem before.

* quotes i got were all >$1000! even from independent shops! i had to do an engine swap and that was ~$1500 for parts & labor! even with OEM parts, the quotes i was getting for a TB job would've included ~4-5 hours of labor. it took me ~4 hours to do the TB the first time. without air tools and just one r/r TB and idlers under my belt, i'm confident that the next time i need to do a complete TB job, i could do it in ~2 hours!

Where did you get the TB kit?

Reason I ask is some of the cheaper kits might come with shoddy hardware. That bolt didn't back out, it stretched and sheared off just at the end of the threaded section in the bracket.

It's possible the bolt was too long and bottomed out or twisted, too low grade, or just plain old cheap. I never use the hardware that comes in the kits because I just don't trust it.

When you put it back together dig up the original bolt and use that instead.

right on, hopefully you get that old style fixed and can just keep that.

$100? Where are you at! $160 from the stealership 'round here.

If I can't get a machine shop to take care of this first thing in the AM, I guess I'll hafta bite the bullet with the $160 new part.

They are about $100 from online Subaru dealers. Dealers can match that price if you ask and they want to.

$109.76 from here:

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

$85 on ebay, free shipping, in California:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-08-Subaru-Hydraulic-Tensioner-NTN-JAPAN-13033-AA040-EJ20T-EJ22-EJ25-EJ25T-/261098819843

I got the kit from Mizumo Auto, an eBay preferred seller. I forget if I got the recommendation from this board or Outback.org. While this makes me feel a little bit better that chances are it wasn't ME that screwed the pooch, that is kinda scary and disappointing. Luckily, I still have the old bolt. I found a machine shop and will be getting the cracked bolt removed today and should be able to button everything up.

Where did you get the TB kit?

Reason I ask is some of the cheaper kits might come with shoddy hardware. That bolt didn't back out, it stretched and sheared off just at the end of the threaded section in the bracket.

It's possible the bolt was too long and bottomed out or twisted, too low grade, or just plain old cheap. I never use the hardware that comes in the kits because I just don't trust it.

When you put it back together dig up the original bolt and use that instead.

Got the bolt extracted, put my old tensioner back in. Night & day difference. There is MUCH more tension with the old style tensioner. I guess those new style tensioners are good for one use. What a bummer. The old style tensioners are cheaper to boot when you get them online.

Buttoned everything up, blue Loctite on the tensioner idler bolt, cranked the camshaft bolt down with the torque wrench, rotated the engine a few times. It's all good. Well, except I didn't get the A/C compressor belt tight enough. Forgot to turn the A/C on while I was checking/test-driving. Turned the heater on on my way home from work 'cuz it was FREEZING (well, for California, anyway). SQUEAL! It was too cold and dark to fumble around with it, so I guess no heater 'til the weekend!

Thanks for all your help everyone! Seriously, y'all saved my hide. For whoever's keeping track, chalk another broken bolt up to aftermarket parts. I'll probably check things out under the TB cover either this weekend or next just for ************s & giggles and my own self-assurance. And again whenever I get around to finding a driver's side rear TB belt cover, still need one of those.