Ultimate Subaru Message Board

15" pug rims........what 25/26" tires are available???

I have an 82 brat getting a BYB 4/3 lift. I found a set of 15" pug steel rims but now I am having a problem finding affordable tires to fit. This rig will be used for rock crawling so I need to keep low gear ratios as much as possible.

I am basically looking for the follow specs:

- Mud Terrain tires

- Maximum of 26" outside diameter (to fit on 15" pug steel rims)

- Fairly inexpensive

Does anyone know of my options?

I have found several solutions for 14" rims........the 15" rims seem to only have options for a minimum of 215/75/15 which equates to 27.7" outside diameter.

Please Help!!!!!

I am putting the 5sp D/R in my brat and a 3.9 LSD but I have no other choices for regearing. I know the Interco SSR's are available but they are still too big and too expensive.

I dont need any more lift than the BYB 4/3......I have been rock crawling for years.......its more about skill as long as you have some clearance and decent gearing......which is why I dont want to go larger than 26" tires.

I don't think there is really anything with a decent tread pattern smaller than a 205.... unless you go to a snow tire, but I haven't seen anything agressive enough there either. You may have to find some 14's.

It is about skill, but your going to want a locker instead of that LSD, and probably some power steering. And a BIG left leg for managing the clutch.

GD

I found some aggressive 205/75/15 snow tires once, they were more aggressive than a bfg at, probably on par with a bfg mt. They were pretty much no-name brand tires. You wouldnt find these kind of tires on the net, you'd probably have to go searching tire stores. But I think thats as good as you can get in 205/75/15. A 215/75/15 is going to be smaller than its rating, most tires are this way. I have a few different 225/75/15s that all measure out to only 27", maybe a hair more. I would go with a 215/75/15 because even though you might lose a bit of gearing, you have more tire options. Plus there will be more sidewall, which will allow you to air down more.

Just to clarify, thats a lincoln locker, or welded diff, that GD is talkin about.

I am about ready to sell my 15" pug steel rims.......or trade for 14" pug steel rims. There are so many more choices for aggressive tires in the 14" range.

I found some really good looking Mud Terrain tires for about $70 each in the size of 215/75/R15.......but I still think that is too large for me. I dont have an issue with trimming the fenders but here in Colorado the trails get steep......I really need to keep my gearing as much as possible.