Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I identify if my car has CA emission? (no sticker)

I have a 95 Legacy L wagon 5spd. I need to replace the timing belt, but the parts guys say they need to know if it is CA emissions. There is no sticker in the engine compartment, or I cannot find it. It looks like it may have fallen off if it was on the cross member above the radiator. There is a spot of some residue there that may be where it was. I tried a VIN number lookup but it did not give that info. I have replaced the timing belt before so I must have known it then, or just guessed correctly.

Any ideas how to figure this out?

Thanks.

CA belt is 105k service interval, non-CA belt is 60k interval. If you can find a CA belt, I'd use it.

I have a '96 impreza from CA, there are no stickers in the engine compartment that mention CA emissions.

I ordered the CA belt from the dealer, was $55 three years ago. edit: its around $90 now.

Same size belt for either 2.2L legacy or impreza 95-98

105k belt 13028AA150

60K belt 13028AA102 <-- edit: still being sold, for $20 less than CA belt from at least one online subie dealer

Edited by 89Ru
outdated info

Autozone wants $30 for a California timing belt and $40 for the non-CA belt.

Why is the 105k mile timing belt cheaper if it is true there is no dimensional difference?

(95 Legacy L wagon, the emissions sticker is gone and I don't now how else to look up the timing belt part. I have it out and will take it down with me)

BTW, for a 'kit' with water pump and all the idler pulleys they want almost 3x more ($320 vs. $114) for the CA version, which does include a replacement tensioner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-1-8-2-2L-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-EJ18-EJ22-Timing-Belt-Kit-AISIN-Water-Pump-/260925109309?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3ASubaru&hash=item3cc059343d&vxp=mtr

Good for at least the 60k interval. Aisin makes OE water pumps for just about every major Japanese manufacturer. They're good stuff. That kit also includes oil seals for the cams and crankshaft.

Why is the 105k mile timing belt cheaper if it is true there is no dimensional difference?

Economics. It isn't the price that the thing cost to make plus markup, its the price that people will pay for it.

Example: Silly Bandz. 75% profit margin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-97-1-8-2-2L-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-EJ18-EJ22-Timing-Belt-Kit-AISIN-Water-Pump-/260925109309?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3ASubaru&hash=item3cc059343d&vxp=mtr

Good for at least the 60k interval. Aisin makes OE water pumps for just about every major Japanese manufacturer. They're good stuff. That kit also includes oil seals for the cams and crankshaft.

Thanks, a good fit for the price. I think the AZ kit for $114 does not include the new seals, though I think this one is for DOHC and mine is SOHC (3 oil seals instead of 5) They call out the SOHC but list parts for 5 seals?