Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power steering leak

I know those old GL's Power Steering pumps & System are designed to use ATF fluid, but if the leak is very tiny, I kindly suggest you to Flush all the ATF out from the System and replace with Fresh Power Steering Fluid with anti-leak (Seal Conditioners) Additives.

That Lazy solution worked on my "BumbleBeast" and has more than a decade without Leaking a single drop.

I believe It is worth trying that on yours... the Steering will become a Li'l Harder than with ATF; if that doesn't work, at least you'll have a clean system to work on changin' the seals.

Kind Regards.

I agree with Loyale 2.7 Turbo. When I bought my car, there was a power steering leak. I never found it where it was from, but I just put in a bottle of power steering fluid with stop leak. Worked like a charm. Haven't had an issue with leaking power steering fluid since. However, my power steering has suddenly started making noises when I am reversing. But that's probably another problem.

• Like 1

... my power steering has suddenly started making noises when I am reversing. But that's probably another problem.

Yep, I believe it is another problem, usually related to Dry and / or Loose Belts; but if it only sound while you're going in Reverse, maybe the Mounting Screws are a Li'l loose...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Yep, I believe it is another problem, usually related to Dry and / or Loose Belts; but if it only sound while you're going in Reverse, maybe the Mounting Screws are a Li'l loose...

Kind Regards.

I believe that's what it is. I remember unbolting a fastener on the power steering reservoir when I was replacing my IACV, and had some fluid leak out. I think that's when I started hearing the noise. It could also be my belt. I keep losing tension on my v-belt within a month or two, no matter how tightly I torque the alternator. Might slap on a second belt for the front pulleys. The sound happens when I'm moving very slowly going forward sometimes, but always happens in reverse, at whatever speed. Oh well, project for another day.

But yeah, the stop leak works surprising well. I didn't think it would work when I first put it in, but it did. I can turn lock to lock with one finger as well, haha.  ^_^

• Like 1