Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question...Swap for Subau SVX Transmission

Got my eye on a '92 Subaru SVX with low miles and blown transmission.Would like to keep it an auto so that my girlfriend can also drive it(I prefer stick shift but you know how it be sometimes).Looking at the best compatible transmissions,I also have access a '94 Subaru Turbo Legacy wagon,auto transmission witha blown engine, am thinking this may be closer to handling the SVX engine power than a regular Legacy tranny?If so, what other parts would be needed for swapping, any wirng changes or is it just slap and go?Any advise highly apreciated. Thanks in advance.

i use the turbo legacy trans parts putt the svx diffs on it if ok the last one i did i put a outback high clutch drum and clutch pack into it is a tougher drum and stronger clutch pack and fitts right in. If your svx diff is bad you can change the ratios out for the 3.90 legacy ones but must use the svx carieier with the legacy crown and pinion is not to bad to swapout. The electronics should be exactly the same valve body ect as long as your doner legacy is 92 or newer. Also get a updated awd clutch pack for svx has black steels and stronger clutches. I have done 3 of thoose tranys in the last year a`m geting perty good at it. My favorot is the 4.44 ratio with the high stall from 2wd impreza trans thiss one hauled rump roast and seems to be holding up i bet it whould beat a standard one easy.

• Like 1

Its not to bad to pull out ether only has 4 bell bolts and can take the whole exhaust out of way i take the axles right out mounts elictical conectors drive shaft tc and shift cables the last one i pulled took me about 45 min from running to out on ground. Mind you probly my 40th tranny pull in last year have it down to a exact porcedure

• Like 1