Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats my inner spline count?

1990 Loyale Turbo MPFI

4sp Automatic 

Full time awd/4wd (whatever it's called)

Try as I may, I find conflicting evidence as to the number of splines.  I just ordered from Rock Auto and they sent me 23 splines.  I don't want to tear down the axle just to find I have the wrong one then send parts back and forth while the car is out of service.

Thanks in advance for the information

Rainman

Edited by rain_man_rich

So this is what I got yesterday from three local parts stores, Autozone, Napa, and Oreilys:

Autozone:  23 spline, reman and new

Napa: 23 spline only, no 25 in database

Orielys: reman 23 or new 25

Talk about a mess,  at Orielys I had them both on the table and showed the salesman that one had 23 and the other had 25.  He just stood there and looked stupid. Rock Auto sent me one with 23 for turbo and automatic trans.  I'm following Mark Humble's advice tomorrow.   

25 splines. tell the parts counter 'full time 4wd' or just turbo with a manual trans. Don't count on the parts counter listings unless you already know them with the year overlap groups between platforms. anything you are looking for will be 88-94 with 4spd automatic. rule out any 3spd automatic listings altogether.

My advice: skip the parts desk altogether until you know the model, year, and options the part you need came with as stock. The more stuff you do to the car, the more you have to know. I recommend writing a list, and add to it every time you do something to the car that involves swapping in parts from another year, make, model, option set, etc. It will eventually save you time, money, and trouble.

Even the oil change I got a few weeks back threw the garage guy for a loop since I didn't have the original motor in the car :P. Ditto with the dealer when I went in with a disty problem a couple years back...he called me up: "Umm, this is a California car, without a California engine..."

Just get used to it and have fun :D

My advice: skip the parts desk altogether until you know the model, year, and options the part you need came with as stock. The more stuff you do to the car, the more you have to know. I recommend writing a list, and add to it every time you do something to the car that involves swapping in parts from another year, make, model, option set, etc. It will eventually save you time, money, and trouble.

He hasn't swapped anything into the car.

Problem is hte parts catalogs don't make the proper distinction between the 3AT models and the 4EAT model turbo cars.

the catalogs are notoriously wrong on disty caps, intake gaskets, and a whole host of other model specific parts.

I've eve had alot of trouble getting the right clutch and axles for EA82's and instead getting EA81 axles.  Since they were both offered in overlapping years, with 1.8 engines, and called "DL" and "GL" models.  the only identifier in the parts catalogs is weather it's a wgn/sdn/3-door or a hatch.

my general rule is if you need EA82 parts, order them for a wagon.  If you need EA81 parts, order them for a BRAT, so you won't have the EA81/82 overlap that the cars do.