Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback OBDII Problem

Hi my name is Shaun, I am 20 years old. I recently bought my first Subaru (I'm used to Chevy and cars like that). I like the car but I have an issue with it. When I traded my truck for it to save gas and money I drove it home about 33-40 miles and after filling the tank the check engine light came on for a P0403 code.I thought it might have been just due to over filling the tank. Well after resetting it and driving another 40 miles the light came back on again. So I contacted the guy I got the car from and he then proceeded to tell me that the engine is not original and was swapped out for a 2.2 and its supposed to be a 2.5 in the car. He told me the car passed NY inspection with that engine in it. The 2.5 had the egr valve system but now this 2.2 does not have that. We tried switching the computert under the passenger side floor with a 96 2.2 non egr computer. It still came on. I called the guy back and he said it common for a relay to be causing it on there. But I can not find a relay there for it or anything on it. Can someone out ther please help me resolve this???? Like I said I'm only 20 so I dont have another vehicle and alot of money. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum here Shaun. Hopefully we can help you out with this so you can enjoy your Soob better.

My info shows an EGR valve is used with a AT transmission and is tied to pin 71 of the ECU via a blk/pink wire. Do you see that on your ECU? If so, then check to see if you can find the 2 pin connector on top of the engine and should have tied to the EGR valve that has grn/blk and yel/red wires going to it.

No matter what you do to the wiring, the 02 sensor won't see a change in exhaust gasses when it thinks it should (open EGR) so it will set the code.

not much to do about it but try to get a 95 or 96 2.2 automatic intake manifold.  It will have the EGR valve, though you will need to tap the head for the EGR pipe or weld in a pipe to the exhaust and route it too the EGR.

not much to do about it but try to get a 95 or 96 2.2 automatic intake

manifold.  It will have the EGR valve, though you will need to tap the

head for the EGR pipe or weld in a pipe to the exhaust and route it too

the EGR.

somewhere there is a post by some one who routed the EGR pipe to the intake plenum and eliminated the CEL.

i sounds squirrelly to me and i don't quote it very often, but he says it worked.

i don't remember the year of the car, but apparently it worked.

i would love to have a second success to put with it .