Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto transmision fluid change 2003 outback 2.5

I just changed the transmission fluid in my 2003 outback 2.5
today.  I did the three drain and fill method driving the car for about 15 minutes after each drain and fill.   I measured the fluid that came out with each drain and it was right around 5 quarts. So I put 5 quarts back in each time. 

Now when I check the fluid level with the dipstick it seems overfilled
by quite a bit.  Pretty much the same reading either hot or cold.  Am I missing
something here?  Is there fluid collected on the inside of the tube that is giving me a false reading? 

Car is shifting fine.

Any help appreciated.

Dumb question, but you're checking it with the engine running in park, correct?

Sometimes it helps to leave the dipstick out for a minute to let the fluid in the tube drain back a bit. If you keep dragging the dipstick in and out, it coats the wall of the tube in fluid and makes false readings.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes when checking hot the engine is running and in park.  When checking cold the engine is off.

I'll check it again tomorrow and leave the dip stick out for a few minutes before putting it back in.

You can't check the fluid with the engine off. Half the fluid in the torque converter (a few quarts) drains back into the pan when the engine is off, therefor it's going to be WAAAY overfull when not running. When the pump is going, it keeps the whole torque converter full, thus why you have to check with the engine running.

The cold mark is ambiguous because it depends on how cold it actually is. If you start the engine up in the middle of the winter and check the fluid it's obviously going to be colder than starting it up in the summer and checking the fluid. This is why you should always drive a few miles before you can get an accurate reading.

Just idling the engine up to temp won't necessarily bring the fluid up to temp, you have to actually drive it.

Edited by 987687