Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic transmission compatibility for 2002 Impreza Outback Sport

Bought a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport 3 days ago with 170k miles and sadly there's already an issue on it. Found out yesterday that the front diff is going bad. It whines pretty obnoxiously from 30mph and on. Drained the fluid out yesterday and I saw a good amount of methal shaving on the magnetic plug.

Just in case it'll be too expensive to service the front diff, my other option is to source out another good working used transmission. So there in lies my question: Which other Subaru models share the same transmission and final drive ratios as my 2002 Impreza OBS? The transmission code is: TZ1A4ZCCCA.

Any input or advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMAG1819-1_zpsba1b10c5.jpg

My suggestion would be to try and find another used transmission.  I think you'd spend more labor and time trying to replace the diff.  The pinion shaft will have to be replaced as well, which may require further disassmebly of the transmission.  Plus the diff backlash settings will need to be set, so it's a much more involved process than just swapping a differential.

As for compatible transmissions, I'm not sure what the final drive ratio is on the outback.  If you have your owner's manual, I'd look in there and see if it has the specs on the final drive ratio.  If you don't have the manual, can try searching on http://techinfo.subaru.com/index.html in the online reference section.

Alternatively, you can look on the differential itself.  Look on page two of this scan and it'll show you where the marking on the rear diff will be.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/1997_impreza_rear_diff_info.pdf

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I had to research this to find what fit my 2000 Legacy outback. Your ratio should be 4.11 which would match up to 2000-2004 Legacy (Non outback) and the Phase II Imprezas (2002 -2004) Probably later years on some. But any Phase II 4EAT with a 4.11 will work for you. Legacy Outback and Forester were a 4.44 and wouldn't work for you.

Here's some more info as given to me by johnceggleston

99 was a transition year. the outbacks got the phase 2 trans but i don't think all 99s got the phase 2 trans.

and
if you search thru opposed forces and look at a list of trans code
numbers you will see that some are different. i would stick with a trans
that has the same first 6 or 7 characters as yours. this is probably
going to exclude the 99s.

let me explain:

the last 3 characters of the code number refer to the car the trans went in to. it may define the speedo gears.
the
first 6 character identifies the trans. in the 90s the 7th character
defined the final drive ratio, not sure if this holds for the 00+.

90 - 98 legacy / impreza trans AWD were all the same trans = TZ102Zxxxx.
96 - 98 2.5L trans were the same, (same as other 2.5L and 2.2L) =TZ102Z2xxx, but they all had a different final drive ratio and they all had a 2 after the second 'Z' .

the 99 outback is different TZ1A2Zxxxx.
the 00 outback is different TZ1A4Zxxxx.

so
stick with a trans that starts off with the same code number as yours,
at least the firs 6 characters. then double check the final drive ratio.
they can be found on opposedfoprces.com/parts .

the link below
has a list of 4eat for the 00 2.5L outback. the trans part numbers
(different than the 'TZ' code numbers printed on the bell housing) will
interchange. you can use any listed on that page, TZ1A4ZCxxx, notice
they cover more than one year. when searching for a trans on
car-part.com you will have to search each year separately.

you
can do the same thing for the GT or the Legacy trans but you will have
to double check the final drive ratios. in the early 00s i think the gts
and the outback had the same ratios and legacy was different. (it may
be related to tire size.)

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_21/automatic_transmission/at_transmission_assembly/

final drive ratios can be found in ''train'' section of opposedforces.com/parts .

if
you have a choice, i would get a later year trans, if the price and fit
are the same. some of the 99 - 00 (maybe 01) auto trans have a known
issue of slow to engage. so avoid them if possible. usually the slow to
engage can be corrected with ''trans-x'', but why take the risk if you
have another choice.

I had to research this to find what fit my 2000 Legacy outback. Your ratio should be 4.11 which would match up to 2000-2004 Legacy (Non outback) and the Phase II Imprezas (2002 -2004) Probably later years on some. But any Phase II 4EAT with a 4.11 will work for you. Legacy Outback and Forester were a 4.44 and wouldn't work for you.

Here's some more info as given to me by johnceggleston

Thanksfor the heads up! Yeah upon further research I found out that that I have the 4.11 final drive. Well, at this point it's looking like sourcing a good used lower mileage transmission is the cheaper and more sensible way to go. I'll just drive like this for a while I save up for a replacement transmission.

Edited by jdm slick

Learn from my fail- a 2004 will NOT work as-is (not a legacy/outback trans anyway).

In 2004 they reversed the function of the transfer duty solenoid, reversing the signal for the degree of lock-up.

You could *probably* swap over the solenoid and spool valve, as they *probably* didn't change the trans main case.

It's okay, I'll probably getting one from a 2002 Impreza anyway. I found a wrecking yard in AZ that has one for around 650 shipped with just 100K. For the the miles and price, I'd say that isn't bad at all...Now I have just save up the cash :/

Trust me is worth fixing it! I had a car just like this one, and sold it last year practically new...  I mean it will last for a long time! :)  the lady that bough it was delighted on how great conditions a 10 year old car was! ;)

Oh you can bet on that! I already found a low mileage transmission (only 24k miles) for $575 shipped in Northern CA that I will be ordering on Friday. It has the same tranny code as mine so it's perfect. I'm just wondering if I can resell my old transmission...hmmm. The front diff is bad but the transmission part itself is perfect still.

Nice find! Yeah, the 2000 Outback that I mentioned before had 298k on it when I swapped trannies. I think we could have gone further but it's my wife's car, so I figured we wouldn't limp it. The replacement transmission came from an 02 Forester with 170k. She just drove it from Wisconsin to California and turned over 330k on that car.  4EATs are extremely durable as automatics go. Keep up with fluids and such and it should last you a long time.

I removed all the wiring and sensors from the old trans and sold them on Ebay for about $80. There are some other pieces that are worth money from time to time. Trouble is, since these transmissions last and last, not that many people are generally looking to fix them.

You can probably sell the shift solenoids, C solenoid and transfer clutches.

Strip the case of anything steel or plastic and you can get between 50 and 70 cents per pound for clean aluminum at a scrap yard. Maybe more depending on your local market for scrap.

Edited by Fairtax4me

• 4 weeks later...

So for an update, my replacement transmission came in today from Arizona. It has super low miles (according to the yard I bought it from) with just 19k miles. Paid $550 shipped for it. I found the transmission through www.car-part.com. I'm going to have it installed at my friend's shop this Thursday.

IMAG1883_zpsffd88644.jpg

Edited by jdm slick