Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, my buddy and i are looking at getting into rally here in the future and would like to get a good starting point for that, now this fellow says that there is an exhaust issue that causes a lack of movement, which sounds odd. Either way, let me know what you think, we'd like to be able to drive it home and drive it till the 1.8 dies and replace it with a 2.2 or a 2.5. Here's the link. http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/3868283402.html

Thanks guy's. We'll get some video and such to see if your finely tuned ears can find anything this fellow won't tell.

I figured you'd all know about these newer models, I've got a '78 wagon I know pretty well, but I'm a little out of my territory.

Edited by Singularity21

We can "know all" about these newer models but it doesn't help when the seller's description of the problem makes no sense. No power and won't go faster than 5mph could be a complely crushed exhaust or it could be a bad fuel pump or it could be a bunch of things. If you're looking for a rally car you need a solid shell to put a cage in. I can't tell too well from the pictures but it doesn't look rusty or banged up.

One thing is... it may be just a FWD car. Which may or may not be a good thing for you depending on what class you plan to run in.

The ej18 is not going to die on you unless it has been run out of oil or coolant. You can thrash the hell out of those motors and they don't die. So swap it for a 2.2 or 3.3l now if you want power.