Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb'd GL fuel pump location?

If the pump isn't pumping it might not be the pump at fault, there is an fuel cut switch for accidents. It will only turn the pump on if it has spark like when cranking. It is up under the dash right above the hood release, there is a way to test it but I can't remember how.

found the pump, thanks. tried starting the engine and nothing. tapped the top of the pump a handful of times and then started right up. thanks for the input!

this pump is located inside the tank. found under access plate in cargo area.

Edited by 87subgl

found the pump, thanks. tried starting the engine and nothing. tapped the top of the pump a handful of times and then started right up. thanks for the input!

Well, it shouldn't be in there.  Either someone installed it there....not sure where youd run the line????  Or you found the pickup screen and tapped on that.

The pump in the old ones are mounted external, under the car in front of the rear passenger side wheel.  Carbed cars espescially don't need a pump mounted tank.

Newer FI cars use in tank pumps alot, All the newer Subies do.....Sure you don't have a Legacy????

• Like 1

yesterday I just changed primary fuel filter in my '83 GL wagon- it was very cruddy-probably had 182,000 mls! it is located as Tom, etc said above a removable shelf outside and in front of the tank and the pump is about 2" in front of the filter- under car on right side near front of right rear tire

asap I'll change filter (secondary) in engine compartment -

This is not right, carbed cars never had fuel pumps in tank. Even the fuel injected cars of this era didn't have in tank pumps.

The electrical connector is a bit odd?... while the other connectors on the car are the pushie-innie to release, then pull connectors apart type, the electrical connector to the fuel pump is the Pry-up-the-tab and tug style. (this is from memory and fading fast...) ... change the fuel filter while there, golf tee goes in hose to plug fuel line so it doesn't leak while your making the swap.  I take a squirty bottle with degreaser and tooth brush and clean it all up as usually caked with mud etc... change filter, replace any fuel hose that looks ugly and off you go.

Oh, fuel pumps.  Most auto parts just have the "generic" -one fits all but looks nothing like original- where you have to cut the electrical ends, modify... blahh, blahh...,, once in awhile you can find an exact match at your auto parts dealer, or go to Rock-auto and order from there, they have pics of the exact replacement and you can say... hey... I want that one... 

my .02

Edited by Indrid cold

ok, problem solved... i was mistaken with legacy's access through cargo area. pump is indeed on shelf next to fuel filter. Thanks for the input! In addition, I believe the pump I replaced may have been the original [2"x3" rectangle]. New Japanese made Airtex sure gave that old car the pressure it needed for proper acceleration.